Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Filing Taxes as MFJ with Spouse who is out of the country and no ITIN / SSN

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico

Quick questions:


I'm the sole income for our household. She currently resides in Mexico and is a full-time university student with no income of her own. She does not have an ITIN or SSN as we are currently in the process of waiting on our I-130 Petition. 


I've read that it's best to file as MFJ for our situation, however, she needs to get an ITIN to get things started. I've read on the IRS site that you can go through an Accepted Agent Program and they can help you both file and receive an ITIN. We have done some research and found that there is a Deloitte office in Juarez close to us but I was curious as to how they will help us? Are they basically there to just verify documents without needing to send them in through mail? I'm assuming this saves some time, because my other question is would it be the same if we just mailed our the correct certifying documents to prove her Foreign Status & Identity along with my tax return to the office specified in the instructions for the W7 application?


Thank you for all the help!



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...