Adam Williams

Joint Sponsor - Tax Transcript

5 posts in this topic

Hi there,

So ive filled for my Adjustment of Status application, my wife doesnt earn enough to sponsor me so my friend decided to be my joint sponsor... only he didnt file his 2018 taxes which i thought he gave me in the application when i sent it away...

So i received a Request for more Evidence letter basically outlying they rejected my joint sponsor due to not having his 2018 tax transcript...

He's going to file his 2018 & 2019 taxes on Tuesday, only apparently the Tax transcript for 2018 might take 4 weeks, i have until the 24th Feb to send in more evidence for my application...

Now i guess my question is, can i just get his 2019 tax transcript and send that off with my I-485 joint sponsor form + wage slips / proof of income documents?

Do joint sponsors have to show the past 3 year tax returns or just the current year?

A copy of the most recent year's tax return is required with an I-864. This applies to both the petitioner and any joint sponsor.

The previous 3 years of tax returns must have been filed (unless not required to be filed, with a valid reason stated) to qualify as an I-864 sponsor. This applies for both the petitioner and any joint sponsor.

With regard to the RFIE, I would suggest providing evidence of the 2018 return having been filed as well. Just sending the 2019 transcript is likely not going to convince them that he filed 2018 taxes, as is required to be a sponsor.

A transcript is one option. A copy of the tax return (1040 + all schedules/W2s/1099s/etc.) is another.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Other Timeline
On 1/23/2020 at 1:04 PM, Angelalfred said:

Do joint sponsors have to show the past 3 year tax returns or just the current year? That’s my question too,please help

Yes. I have my joint sponsor even though my husband above the poverty guidelines for two. For my joint sponsor, I included most three years w2's, 1040 tax return and pay stubs (6 months)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 1/19/2020 at 5:47 PM, geowrian said:

A copy of the most recent year's tax return is required with an I-864. This applies to both the petitioner and any joint sponsor.

The previous 3 years of tax returns must have been filed (unless not required to be filed, with a valid reason stated) to qualify as an I-864 sponsor. This applies for both the petitioner and any joint sponsor.

With regard to the RFIE, I would suggest providing evidence of the 2018 return having been filed as well. Just sending the 2019 transcript is likely not going to convince them that he filed 2018 taxes, as is required to be a sponsor.

A transcript is one option. A copy of the tax return (1040 + all schedules/W2s/1099s/etc.) is another.

I have almost similar case, I completed the requirements needed and exceeded the documents they were asking for. With this scenario do we still need to send again the FORM I-864, fill up and sign again? or just the docs they requested from the letter? Thank you for the response

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.