featherB

Biometrics at different office?

18 posts in this topic

We've used my mother-in-law's address as the mailing address on our forms, so (unsurprisingly) I've been given an appointment for my biometrics at her local office. It's a two hour drive from here, so hardly a huge problem - my husband should be able to get the afternoon off work to take me if necessary, or if all else fails there are always Greyhound buses! On the other hand, there's a perfectly good USCIS ASC just a few blocks from here, a mere five minute walk away... so I'm wondering whether anyone has any experience of trying to get biometrics done at a different office. Anyone know whether it's possible/definitely not possible/maybe possible but likely to be more hassle than it's worth???

Would this be the type of thing that an Infopass appointment is good for? Looks like I could get one of those at the local office for later this week... worth a try? Also, I've seen people mention on here that their appointment letters gave alternative days when their local offices allow walk-ins - nothing like that on my letter, it just says I can send it back if I want my appointment rescheduled. But we're due to be in Columbus the weekend before my appointment, staying around the corner from the office... and it is (according to the USCIS site) open on Saturdays 'for appointments only'. No Infopass appointments available that day, sadly - anyone know if there's any point just showing up with the letter, or is that definitely not going to get me anywhere?!

Sorry for the longwinded post! Just wondering if there's an alternative to an eight hour round trip ('cos the timetables don't fit in with my appointment time at all!) via Greyhound, or getting my husband to use up another of his rapidly dwindling vacation days.... :)

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Filed: Timeline
We've used my mother-in-law's address as the mailing address on our forms, so (unsurprisingly) I've been given an appointment for my biometrics at her local office. It's a two hour drive from here, so hardly a huge problem - my husband should be able to get the afternoon off work to take me if necessary, or if all else fails there are always Greyhound buses! On the other hand, there's a perfectly good USCIS ASC just a few blocks from here, a mere five minute walk away... so I'm wondering whether anyone has any experience of trying to get biometrics done at a different office. Anyone know whether it's possible/definitely not possible/maybe possible but likely to be more hassle than it's worth???

Would this be the type of thing that an Infopass appointment is good for? Looks like I could get one of those at the local office for later this week... worth a try? Also, I've seen people mention on here that their appointment letters gave alternative days when their local offices allow walk-ins - nothing like that on my letter, it just says I can send it back if I want my appointment rescheduled. But we're due to be in Columbus the weekend before my appointment, staying around the corner from the office... and it is (according to the USCIS site) open on Saturdays 'for appointments only'. No Infopass appointments available that day, sadly - anyone know if there's any point just showing up with the letter, or is that definitely not going to get me anywhere?!

Sorry for the longwinded post! Just wondering if there's an alternative to an eight hour round trip ('cos the timetables don't fit in with my appointment time at all!) via Greyhound, or getting my husband to use up another of his rapidly dwindling vacation days.... :)

I think you should go to Columbus. Why didn't you write Cincy? If you have an interview it will be in Columbus as well....

I think you should go to Columbus. Why didn't you write Cincy? If you have an interview it will be in Columbus as well....

Yep, I know, that's another reason why I'd rather save up C's vacation days if possible! We were going by the 'it's best to use an address you know you'll be able to receive mail at for the foreseeable future' advice I've seen around here so often, as we might just end up moving from this apartment in the not-too-distant future. No imminent plans to move, but after seeing horror stories of green cards being sent to old addresses, and keeping in mind the possibility of AOS approval taking months & months... we thought it was a sensible idea. Now I'm wishing we'd just used this address and crossed that bridge if/when we come to it, but too late now!

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2009 - Conditions lifted

Do Info Pass and there shouldn't be a problem getting it changed at all.

They are all tied in to the same computers.

Just be sure not to miss the appointment one way or the other as doing so is grounds for denial if you do!

No biggy to leave it as it is tho.

Heck we had to fly to do ours at a cost of $500+.

Edited by beckypua

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Just be sure not to miss the appointment one way or the other as doing so is grounds for denial if you do!

:) Yep, I agree totally that just going with the appointment they've given me is no big deal - it's entirely possible and not a problem at all (I know the half-day trip has nothing on the ones some people have to make to get to their appointments, I'm lucky!), just made me wonder if biometrics can be done at different offices without causing major dramas. Although most things with USCIS seem to have the potential to cause major dramas: the apparent nightmarishness of changing addresses with them being the whole reason we used my m-i-l's address in the first place! :)

Edited by featherB

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2009 - Conditions lifted

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yep, I agree that just going with the appointment they've given me is no big deal - it's entirely possible and not a problem at all (I know the half-day trip has nothing on the ones some people have to make to get to their appointments, I'm lucky!), just made me wonder if biometrics can be done at different offices without causing major dramas. Although most things with USCIS seem to have the potential to cause major dramas: the apparent nightmarishness of changing addresses with them being the whole reason we used my m-i-l's address in the first place! :)

I think you should just make an Infopass in Cincy to talk to them and see what they say. Just explain that you used her address because it's your "permanent" address, but you're currently in Cincinnati. The worst that could happen is that they say no. Then, you go to Columbus!

AOS

AOS Package received in Chicago 4-25-07 (Day 1)

NOA 1 5-01-07 (Day 7)

Cheque Cashed 5-02-07 (Day 8)

Touched 5-04-07 (Day 10)

Biometrics Appointment 5-18-07 (Day 26)

Touched 5-21-07 (Day 29)

Transferred to CSC e-mail 5-25-07 (Day 33)

Touched 5-28-07 (Day 36)

Touched again...feels niiiice! 5-29-07 (Day 37)

Notice of CSC transfer via reg mail 6-01-07 (Day 40)

Touched; 'pending @ CSC' e-mail 6-07-07 (Day 46)

Touched 6-08-07 (Day 47)

Touched 6-10-07 (Day 49)

Touched 6-19-07 (Day 58)

Touched 6-20-07 (Day 59)

Touched 8-31-07 & 9-3-07

Card Production Ordered 10-01-07

Welcome Notice Sent 10-02-07

Lifting of Conditions

Sent 7/13/09

Received at CSC 7/14/09

NOA Receieved (Dated 7/14) 7/18/09

Biometrics Appointment 8/12/09

Touched 8/13/09

Yep, I agree that just going with the appointment they've given me is no big deal - it's entirely possible and not a problem at all (I know the half-day trip has nothing on the ones some people have to make to get to their appointments, I'm lucky!), just made me wonder if biometrics can be done at different offices without causing major dramas. Although most things with USCIS seem to have the potential to cause major dramas: the apparent nightmarishness of changing addresses with them being the whole reason we used my m-i-l's address in the first place! :)

I think you should just make an Infopass in Cincy to talk to them and see what they say. Just explain that you used her address because it's your "permanent" address, but you're currently in Cincinnati. The worst that could happen is that they say no. Then, you go to Columbus!

Haha, I do need to remember that 'the worst that can happen is that they say no' thing - rather than thinking 'oooohhhh I might really annoy them if I dare to even ask!' :blush: Hmm... when you go to the biometrics appointment, do you get some kind of proof that you've attended? Just in case I did go to the Cincy office, and they agreed to do my biometrics there... wouldn't want my application to be considered 'abandoned' due to failure to show up at Columbus!

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2009 - Conditions lifted

Timeline

Haha, I do need to remember that 'the worst that can happen is that they say no' thing - rather than thinking 'oooohhhh I might really annoy them if I dare to even ask!' :blush: Hmm... when you go to the biometrics appointment, do you get some kind of proof that you've attended? Just in case I did go to the Cincy office, and they agreed to do my biometrics there... wouldn't want my application to be considered 'abandoned' due to failure to show up at Columbus!

When you go, they scan your biometrics appointment letter and enter all of your information into their system. About a day or two afterward, it makes it into your file somehow. Plus, they stamp, date, and sign your letter indicating that your biometrics were completed.

If you did go for an infopass and they scheduled you for a biometrics appointment in Cincy, I am sure they would deschedule the other appointment. I bet you could even ask them to make your local office Cincinnati. It's definitely worth a shot.

AOS

NOA 1 5-01-07 (Day 7)

Touched 5-04-07 (Day 10)

Touched 5-21-07 (Day 29)

Touched 5-28-07 (Day 36)

Touched 6-08-07 (Day 47)

Touched 6-10-07 (Day 49)

Touched 6-19-07 (Day 58)

Touched 6-20-07 (Day 59)

Touched 8-31-07 & 9-3-07

Lifting of Conditions

Sent 7/13/09

Received at CSC 7/14/09

Touched 8/13/09

When you go, they scan your biometrics appointment letter and enter all of your information into their system. About a day or two afterward, it makes it into your file somehow. Plus, they stamp, date, and sign your letter indicating that your biometrics were completed.

If you did go for an infopass and they scheduled you for a biometrics appointment in Cincy, I am sure they would deschedule the other appointment. I bet you could even ask them to make your local office Cincinnati. It's definitely worth a shot.

Thank you! I might do it... can't hurt (or at least I hope not), after all! :)

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2009 - Conditions lifted

Hint! Be sure when you do Biometrics they have the correct info, A # and spelling that they stick in the computer. They screwed ours up!

Not once but 2 times. Yeah 3 trips total at $500+ a trip!!

They were VERY nice because of their screw ups. Not nice enuf to pick us up in a Limo at the airport tho! !!!!

Also be aggressive and if you don't like the first picture they take ask them to take another.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Hint! Be sure when you do Biometrics they have the correct info, A # and spelling that they stick in the computer. They screwed ours up!

They were VERY nice because of their screw ups. Not nice enuf to pick us up in a Limo at the airport tho! !!!!

Also be aggressive and if you don't like the first picture they take ask them to take another.

THREE $500 round trips because they made a mistake??!! :o:blink: Thanks for the tip - wherever I end up getting it done, I'll try to make sure everything's put in the computer correctly! :)

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2009 - Conditions lifted

Timeline

How did you know that they screwed up your info?? Did you get some kind of a notice?

AOS

NOA 1 5-01-07 (Day 7)

Touched 5-04-07 (Day 10)

Touched 5-21-07 (Day 29)

Touched 5-28-07 (Day 36)

Touched 6-08-07 (Day 47)

Touched 6-10-07 (Day 49)

Touched 6-19-07 (Day 58)

Touched 6-20-07 (Day 59)

Touched 8-31-07 & 9-3-07

Lifting of Conditions

Sent 7/13/09

Received at CSC 7/14/09

Touched 8/13/09

How did you know that they screwed up your info?? Did you get some kind of a notice?

We had interview and Biometrics on the same day. Told us it would be 2 weeks to get the GC. After 3 weeks I called our local office. That's when I found out.

They faxed us another Bio appointment and send us temporary GCs which ended up being worthless as SSA couldn't pull them up in their database.

We flew back a 2nd time and I blew it by not being more aggressive and checking what they were putting in the computer again and figured they'd get it correct! WRONG again! Same trip! Waited 3 weeks and no GCs so I called again! 3rd time I checked EVERYTHING and made sure. Got the welcome notice via email and the GCs a week later.

On second thought if I were you I'd stick with your original appointment. Bird in the hand is worth !!!!!!!!!

!! ALL PAU!

In case this is ever of interest to, or useful to, anyone else... I just had an Infopass appointment & it seems that it's not a problem... the woman I spoke to called down to the office (same building, a couple of floors below) where they do the biometrics, and they said I can come on the date & time on my biometrics letter, but in that office instead of Columbus.

Getting to Columbus wouldn't have been too difficult really, but the five minute walk each way to get it done here will be easier by far! :)

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2009 - Conditions lifted

Glad you got it sorted out feather!

For me, I was sure they'd send me to Pittsburgh for my biometrics (about 2 hours away) but they sent me to Cleveland (2 and a bit hours) and the guys wondered why they had sent me there!

K-1 visa issued: 12/15/2006

107 days from mailing AOS package to receiving green card! Received 6/27/07 dated 6/20/07

Removing conditions:

mailed 5/22/2009

Recieved at CSC 5/23/2009

Check cashed 5/27/09

NOA date 5/26/09 - still not received

I-551 stamp in passport 6/19/09

Biometrics notice date 6/16/09

Biometrics received 6/20/09

Biometrics apt date 7/9/09

Biometrics cancellation notice 6/27/09

Biometrics apt notice date 6/26 recieved 7/7

Biometrics apt 7/22/09

Touch 7/22/09

Finally able to see online info 7/22/09

Card production email 8/19/09 date ordered 8/18

Recieved approval letter in mail 8/19/09 date 8/13!

Touch 8/19

Email stating approval notice sent 8/24/09

Green card in hand!! 8/24/09

Husband joined army and moved from San Diego to Ft. Benning GA! 8/30/11

Filed N400 based on 5 years of residency 9/12/12

Recieved email notifcation recieved package 9/19/12

Biometrics 10/22/12

Early Biometrics 10/04/12

In line for interview 10/8/12 for 8 days

Interview 11/20/12 PASSED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.