HannahP

How did you guys meet?

55 posts in this topic

Since Canada is much closer to the US -- I wonder if we'll have more diversity in meeting online vs. meeting in person?

The boy and I met in person as teenagers. We both attended aerospace camp at the University of North Dakota.

I was the girl with the blue hair and he was the boy with the Hot Topic clothing. Although we're both pretty introverted and, well, socially retarded, we fell in together almost immediately. I had never felt so comfortable with someone else before.

By the end of the two weeks at camp, we were known as an "item" by everyone else. :lol: (The camp ratio was two girls to 28 boys, so, yeah.) We held hands. I fell asleep and drooled all over his shoulder during a movie. The other girl at camp -- my roommate -- kept saying that I had to kiss him before we departed, but said departure was hectic and we barely got to say goodbye.

After camp, we chatted online for a few months. Then we lost contact for nearly a year. One night, on a whim, I decided to email him. By this time, he was in the states attending university. Within the month, he took the Greyhound down to see me.

He would take the bus down every six-eight weeks and stay for a few days. After I graduated highschool, I went up to be with him and we lived together for two years after that.

---

We beat a lot of odds. A long-distance relationship as a teenager? Meeting, by chance, at camp? (He was supposed to attend camp the previous year, but his parents grounded him at the last moment. When I enrolled, I got the last spot.) etc. Also, having lived together for several years, we have already conquered the honeymoon period that eventually ruins many international relationships. (In mah opinion, anyway.)

Anyway. Whatever. I want to hear ya'alls stories!

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

She was coming up to Banff on a trip she won through her business, bringing her son. She was on Match.com, I was on Date.ca, both websites owned by the same company. She messages me out of the blue (I was a the top of the list when she searched for guys in Calgary) wondering if she can drive rental cars in Canada on a US license, but was also saying how she hates driving in strange cities. See, her son loves WWE wrestling and by coincidence there was a WWE RAW tournament here in Calgary that weekend and she wanted to surprise him by taking him to it. So, figured rather than having her paying lots of money to rent a car and such, I decided to play tourguide. So I showed her the sites of Calgary, and oh ya, won big brownie points with her son, too!!! :)

From that point forward, we clicked very well with each other, fallen in love and we've been visiting each other 4-6 times a year for the last couple of years.

So, there's our story.

Scott.

June 3 - Mailed N-400, Application for Naturalization.

June 8 - Received email with Receipt Number.

June 11 - Biometrics appointment letter mailed out (June 30 at 1PM)

June 30 - Biometrics.

Timeline

We met online. :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

I met my boyfriend in Feb 2005 in Jersey (He was my cousin's roommate at the time)

That summer we saw each other 4 more times for a week or two every visit

we started dating officially that July.

Since then I've seen him every month or two and we'll be going on two years next month =)

We talk every day and fall asleep on the phone together every night (unlimited North America calling plan =)

oh, and he proposed Valentine's day this year over dinner at a lovely seafood restaurant.. Even called my parents in Toronto during his workday a few days before to ask their permission!

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Awwww, that is a sweet story :)

Here's mine (includes the proposal too!):

We began writing as pen pals in October 2004. I saw his ad on a penpal website and thought he sounded laid-back and interesting, so I wrote. I had just had a very bad (think Jerry Springer-like) breakup with my boyfriend of over 4 years and wanted a mindless diversion; he was also dealing with a breakup. My guy is a travelwhore and posted his ad, hoping to chat with people from all over the world and gain some background about their country before he traveled there. He was NOT incredibly interested in traveling to the US and did not particularly want to write to an American. One night, after many drinks on my part, I suggested talking on the phone just to hear each other's accents. So we talked for an hour or so, mostly about how weird it was to be talking and that we would never do that again!!! Yeah, right. So, after talking nearly every day for 14 months, we decided to meet and see what happened. So, he flew to Atlanta and we clicked :) Spent nearly a month road tripping up the East Coast. Sucked when he had to leave, but we met up in Seattle in February. I went to Vancouver to visit him in April, when he proposed. At that time, we had been talking about trying to live together sometime in the future. He had said many times that he would never propose until we lived together for at least 6 months to see if we were truly compatible. So, of course, the day after I arrive in Vancouver, he rolls over in bed and says, "When are we getting engaged? I think we should get engaged soon." So I said, okay why not (inside completely freaking out!!!) We ended up going to Metrotown Mall that day and I suggested looking at rings just to see what I liked and what looked good on me. Had NO plans of actually getting a ring. Then we found my lovely tanzanite ring, both drooled over it, and had a hurried conversation in the corner of the mall, Should we get it? I don't know. It's the only one. What are we doing??? Got the ring and sent it off to be sized. It was due to be picked up on the day we were taking a ferry from Vancouver over to Vancouver Island to visit his parents. My guy was adamant that he wanted to do the actual proposal near water. He had planned to take me to a beach and propose. We were running late and trying to catch the last ferry, so we figured he would have to propose on the ferry. We ended up missing that ferry by a few minutes, so he actually got to take me to the beach and proposed properly, down on one knee, adorably shaking from nerves (even though I whispered to him that he already knew the answer was yes!).

We've been married 4 months now (L)(F)

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

hubby and I met online.... :)

he told me later that at first he didn't really want to get involved with me because he thought I lived way up in the boonies of Canada but then he looked up my town on a map and found out how close I lived to the border.... He still lived over 1000 miles from the Canada/US border but I guess he figured the gap wasn't as big as he thought....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My sister and my fiance had been friends for a few years .. two summers ago she asked if I wanted to go on vacation with her to Cleveland ... we met and it was fireworks .. literally true love at first sight!!

Met in Cleveland 07/07/05 ... Fireworks!!!

Emails and phone calls until first visit back September '05

Many trips to Cleveland and overnight stays in New York

Engaged 05/07/06

07/18/07 - Interview yeeehaaa .. approved

07/26/07 - received Visa from Montreal (should have received 07/24)

07/26/07 - POE Buffalo, NY (Peace Bridge) .. No EAD stamp

07/27/07 - Beautiful marriage .. now you may call me Mrs. :)

07/28/07 - Filed AOS,EAD, and AP for me and AOS and AP for my son via UPS .. received 08/01

08/16/07 - applied for ssn

09/03/07 - received ssn card

11/07/07 - AP approved and received 11/12/07 :)

11/19/07- EAD approved online and received same day (actual approval 11/07/07) :)

12/27/07 - AOS transferred to CSC

02/26/08 - 485's approved without interview

01/14/09 - Sent I-751 - removal of conditions

02/23/10 - Biometrics

03/17/10 - Removal of conditions approved .. card production ordered

"Life is not measured by the amount of breaths that we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Online in a chatroom. He was always talking to my gf, and I thought he was the MOST irritating person in there. BUT I had to be nice to him :angry: She went on a trip with her husband and he started yapping at me, thought I'd go nuts! :wacko: Once I got to know him I found out that he just kept his caps lock on alot and his "!"button stuck all the time, lmao.

He turned out to be the nicest, sweetest, most wonderful man I've ever met, and he does such stupid man things :whistle: Aw but that just makes him funny as well :lol: Talked to him for a year, and finally went down to see him in AR the next Jan, ended up bringing a foot of snow with me :innocent: He said he'd love to see all the snow we were getting!!

2006/11/29 : I-129F Sent

2006/12/12: I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2007/02/22: I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2007/03/06: Package Left From NVC

2007/03/21: Rec Instructions (Pkt 3)

2007/03/27: Pkt 3 sent to Montreal Consulate

2007/03/28: Pkt 3 rec. @ Montreal Consulate

2007/04/12: Entered into system

2007/04/19: Medical

2007/07/25: Phone call, interview Aug/Sept. Email, at least 6 months for interview

2007/08/01: Phone call, 5-7 months

2007/08/08: Phone call. INTERVIEW

2007/08/16: Interview letter arrives.

2007/09/03: My baby girl leaves for Trent University

2007/09/12: Interview@8:15 APPROVED

2007/09/19: Visa received in hand

2007/10/08: POE Sarnia/Port Huron

2007/10/09: Home

Timeline

Ah!!! We're also talking about engagements, too, eh???

For about a month before we (My boys and I) went down to Kansas for Christmas, my lady, Kris, and I were perusing engagement ring websites... We were going to go the fiance(e) route, but had not formally proposed yet. Generally, we were going to go through the motion of putting the I129F application in for the K1/K2 visa, not really thinking about the actual engagement process. She really wasn't expecting me to do anything about it, what with some impending costly financial endeavors still to come later in the new year, and such.

Anyways, last November we're going through engagement ring websites (ice.com, zales.com, etc), of which she would say "this one's nice", "that one's nice", "I really like that one". Anyways, while she was going through rings on the websites, she was always coming back to this one ring on zales.com, of which, there was a Zales Jewellry store in Liberal (a small city in SW Kansas). So, about a week before we were to fly down there, I phoned Zales in Liberal. They didn't have this engagement ring in stock, but they were able to order it in.

So, the following week the boys and I flew down to the US and a few days before Christmas, I was able to borrow Kris's vehicle and drive to Zales, where I bought the ring (Ouch!!! When you think about the conversion between CDN and US dollars, a big hit there). I wrapped the ring up and placed it in with the electric blanket that I had also bought for her for Christmas, which was also wrapped.

Just a reminder at this point, no one knows that I have done this.... not my boys, not her kids, nobody!!!

Christmas morning comes... family gathering... her daughter, Monica, and boyfriend, as well as her son and my two boys all in the living room, her daughter is video-taping the opening of presents. Kris is ready to open the electric blanket. I indicated to Monica to video-tape her unwrapping the electric blanket. I tell Kris to open it up, see what she thinks of the blanket. She opens it up and this small wrapped box falls out... Well.... you could hear a pin drop!!! The whole room was silent. She opens up the box, and then I get on my knee... "Will you marry me?". She broke down, started crying, and said "Yes!!!!".

So, this was a very special Christmas for all of us...

Scott

June 3 - Mailed N-400, Application for Naturalization.

June 8 - Received email with Receipt Number.

June 11 - Biometrics appointment letter mailed out (June 30 at 1PM)

June 30 - Biometrics.

Wow, everyone's stories are so adorable!

Bee and I met through World of Warcraft. Funnily enough, my then-boyfriend introduced the game to me at the release date, but we soon broke up. Bee and I met through mutual friends in the game, but didn't say anything to each other for almost a year. After that, we started chatting regularly, and then started calling each other outside the game as well.

The first time we met, I flew to the East Coast to spend the weekend with him. We drove back to his house near Philadelphia for the night (at the time, it was much cheaper for me to fly in at JFK), then he took me to New Hope for two nights at a B&B. Coincidentally there was an art fair that weekend, so we spent the entire time wandering around the booths and buying up all the local art we could snag for each other. A few of the vendors asked if we were newlyweds because we were absolutely starry-eyed. :D

After a lot of discussion, we decided to file for the K1, but I wasn't expecting a formal proposal or a ring from him. In mid-April I went to visit him, where after a few days we're driving around in his car. Turns out he was taking me to the jeweler's to pick out my ring (we chose a Canadian diamond solitaire, go figure!). The day before I was supposed to leave, I woke up and rolled over in bed to him reading a book and sniffling into a tissue. We started talking, and I turned my head and found the ring box on my pillow. Poor thing was so sick that he couldn't take me to our favorite park with a picnic basket, so he had to improvise!

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

liz - hehe, falling asleep on the phone together! oy! (We have the same phone plan, I think, but still.) Ever wake each other up snoring? :lol:

mrsp - Banff! We've been to...ergh..Jasper, that's it. I really want to go to Banff but it's so much farther than where he lives. But dayum, I bet it's gorgeous there. :)

How did you online people meet -- games, chatrooms, websites? Did you feel that meeting in person gave a different perspective than chatting online?

autumnchik - shaking, wow! That's so cute. Especially with missing the ferry -- I mean, that's bad luck, but it definitely adds to the story that you'll tell your grandkids!

--

His proposal was on a nightime gondola ride in Venice. I knew he would propose at some time on the trip, but the actual proposal caught me off guard. It was so cute -- he was mumbling so fast that I couldn't quite understand what he was saying. But I saw the ring and said yes, of course!

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

We met online back on March 16, 2002 and were married on March 15, 2007. :thumbs:

Feb 17/06 - I-129F Petition sent

Mar 1/06 - I-129F NOA1

May 12/06 - I-129F NOA2

June 7/06 - Packet 3 rec'd

Sept 6/06 - Packet 3 sent

Sept 15/06 - Rec'd letter with interview date

Sept 28/06 - Interview in Vancouver,BC and Visa in hand!

March 13/07 - US Entry

March 15/07 - WEDDING DAY

March 21/07 - AOS application & Interview through DORA Day 1

April 13/07 - Rec'd letter with Bio Appt. date Day 24

April 27/07 - Biometrics Appointment "touched" Day 38

April 30/07 - "Touched" Day 40

June 8/07 - Day 79...still waiting, haven't been touched or heard anything.

June 13/07 - Day 84..... I'm not having much faith in this DORA process..... closing in on the 90 day time frame real fast.....

June 19/07 - Day 90 ......nothing (Hubby calls Senator's Office)

June 20/07 - Day 91 - Got the "70 Day Letter" in the mail today :-(

June 22/07 - Mailed out EAD and AP by Priority Post Day 93

June 24/07 - EAD rec'd at Chicago Lockbox

June 29/07 - Day 100 - Infopass appt in OKC..... AOS stuck in name check

July 3/07 - Day 104 - Rec'd NOA for EAD

July 6/07 - Day 107 - Rec'd letter for EAD Bio Appt. for July 18th

July 18/07 -Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.