ngant17

Interview finished at Cuban Interests Section, but still delaying

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Hello, all!

I submitted an I-134 fiancee visa for my Cuban fiancee Vilma. The Petition for Alien Fiancee was submitted on Oct. 12, 2005.

On 23 May 2007, Vilma attended her scheduled interview at the U.S. Interests Section (USINT) in Havana and apparently the US embassy did not find anything wrong with our paperwork. However, the official at the US Interests Section requested that Vilma return with her CV (curriculum vitae) and submit it for their review. Vilma has a professional background as a biologist.

The following week, during the 6th or 7th of June, 2007, Vilma returned to the USINT with her translated CV and an official worker made some copies and told her the papers would be kept for further review. No one at the USINT was able to give Vilma an approx. date for an approval for her visa. It has been over 500 days since I submitted the paperwork, during that time the US government has done background checks of me and also of Vilma, so I believe that any further delays in the processing of her visa to the US is unwarranted and unreasonable.

My fiancee has already finished her interview for a visa at the US embasssy, but they wouldn't give her any timeline on how long this review of her CV is supposed to take. They made copies or faxed her CV. Does anyone have any ideas how long this process will take? We've already spend enough time just to get past the interview stage. Yes, check my timeline, it was over 500 days.

I was hoping that someone who has been in a similar situation here, that person might be able to give me a rough idea of how long it will take for the embassy or whoever to review my fiancee's CV and to get the visa approved. I personally reviewed the translation for proper English format and I think it was perfectly readable by them. My fiancee turned in the CV, they've already spend countless hours and days going over all the I-134 paperwork so I don't know why they should be stalling much on this minor piece of paper which wasn't even requested in the original paperwork to begin with. I mean, it's been over 500 days so what's their big problem?

How long should I wait before requesting help from local congressional reps or a lawyer here?

Thanks for the help!

Texas Service Center

I-129F Sent : 2005-10-02

I-129F NOA1: 2005-10-06

I-129F RFE(s): 2006-01-03

RFE Reply(s) : 2006-03-06

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-03-21

NVC Received :

NVC Left : 2006-08-02

Consulate Received : 2006-08-12

Packet 3 Received : 2006-08-31

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2007-05-23

Visa Received : 2009-11-15

US Entry : 2010-04-20

Marriage : 2010-05-10

Comments : USINT requested her CV at interview, additional delay.

Timeline

I'm so sorry to hear that,,

I've always heard that people who have such education- their exit visas are held for up to 5 years...

sorry for the bad news..

good luck!!

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Sorry to hear about the continued delays,

If she was actively working as a Biologist, it's true that they could delay the granting of the visa for up to 5 years. Are we talking about the K1 or the Tarjeta Blanca. My Cuban fiance is a foundry engineer but wasn't working as 1 in Cuba and, hadn't worked as 1 in Cuba for more than 10 years. Still, the Cuban gov't did delay his Tarjeta Blanca for 6 months. The exit was not granted until the day before the K1 expiration date. There was no problem at all getting the K1 approval.

Toria and Salvador

Met Salvador on internet dating website Dreammates.com April 2002

We decided to meet in person Buenos Aires, Argentina August 2002

1st K1 petition approved w/ interview date March 2004

Didn't attend interview, we decided Salvador should first return to Cuba

Petitioners First Name: Toria

Beneficiaries First Name: Salvador

Visa Type: K1

Beneficiary's Country: Cuba

Service Center: VSC

Embassy: U.S. Interests Section, Havana, Cuba

Date I-129F Sent (mailed USPS Overnight) : 12/18/05

Date I-129F NOA1 (Received Date) : 12/21/05

Date I-129F NOA1 (Notice Date) : 12/29/05

Date I-129F NOA1 (Received Snail Mail) : 1/5/06

Touched! 1/4/06

I-129F RFE(s) : NONE

Date I-129F NOA2 (Approved) : 1/31/06 34 days!!

Date Package Received By NVC: 2/3/06

Date Package Left From NVC: 2/9/06

Date Received By Consulate : 2/21/06

Date Rec Instructions (Pkt 3) : 2/22/06

Date Complete Instructions (Pkt 3) : 4/28/06

Date Rec Appointment Letter (Pkt 4): 5/9/06

Interview Date : 8/8/06

Date Visa Received : 8/8/06

Date Applied for Cuban Exit Visa : 8/10/06

Date Rec Cuban Exit Visa : 2/6/07

Date of US Entry : 2/7/07

Date of Wedding : 2/8/07

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.