GCChase

Question: Adjustment of Status Interview and Day-1 CPT

10 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I did my bachelors in the US, and started working for a company using my OPT and STEM Extension. At the end of my STEM extension, my company applied for H1B, but my name did not get picked. Meanwhile, my company also applied for an EB-3 green card.

During the GC process,  I have enrolled in a college for my master's degree, and this college issued me a CPT on the day 1. 

My PERM, I-140, I-131 and I-765 are all approved. In fact, I am about to have my adjustment of status interview next week. However the day 1 CPT is making me very nervous. Has anyone have similar experience?

Thanks in advance

Edited by GCChase

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

So if i am understanding correctly you have not actually attended the masters program and just enrolled in it so you could stay and work in the US until your GC gets approved? mostly fake online universities provide Day 1 CPTs and USCIS has been dealing with them pretty ruthlessly for the last couple of years, I am not aware of a single reputed school which would provide day 1 CPT. this could be a big problem  potentially since your EB3 AOS interview is through the employer. just out of curiosity why did you not leave after the stem extension OPT and wait for the EB3 process to complete outside the US, if if understand the situation correctly now you have involved yourself into a fraudulent and super risky way to extend your stay with pretty harsh consequences potentially when you already had an employer willing to sponsor you and a clear path to permanent residence lawfully.

Edited by Bajinga

4 hours ago, Bajinga said:

So if i am understanding correctly you have not actually attended the masters program and just enrolled in it so you could stay and work in the US until your GC gets approved? mostly fake online universities provide Day 1 CPTs and USCIS has been dealing with them pretty ruthlessly for the last couple of years, I am not aware of a single reputed school which would provide day 1 CPT. this could be a big problem  potentially since your EB3 AOS interview is through the employer. just out of curiosity why did you not leave after the stem extension OPT and wait for the EB3 process to complete outside the US, if if understand the situation correctly now you have involved yourself into a fraudulent and super risky way to extend your stay with pretty harsh consequences potentially when you already had an employer willing to sponsor you and a clear path to permanent residence lawfully.

Hi Bajinga,

Thank you for your response. The school is actually accredited. I have enrolled it for masters purposes and they offered me the CPT. I had no idea about the potential impact of it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Having graduated from a Masters program in the US, I remember researching on a number of schools that offered a Computer Science program. All the good even semi decent grad schools i looked at the time only allowed CPT after two semesters. in this case the timing alone would seem very suspicious to me if i were the IO i.e enrolling into the Masters program exactly when the OPT extension ends and starting the CPT on day 1 right after and continuing to work with the same employer. I wish you the luck though and maybe its a non issue to the IO

Edited by Bajinga

1 minute ago, Bajinga said:

Having graduated from a Masters program in the US, I remember researching on a number of schools that offered a Computer Science program. All the good even semi decent grad schools i looked at the time only allowed CPT after two semesters. in this case the timing alone would seem very suspicious to me if i were the IO i.e enrolling into the Masters program exactly when the OPT extension ends and starting the CPT on day 1 right after and continuing to work with the same employer. I wish you the luck though and maybe its a non issue to the IO

Thanks, and thanks again for your time

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/26/2019 at 10:57 PM, Bajinga said:

My green card is approved today. Thanks again for the help

• 3 months later...
On 10/22/2019 at 10:50 PM, GCChase said:

My green card is approved today. Thanks again for the help

I am in the same situation as you were. Except instead from OPT to CPT, I was previously on CPT from my first MS. 

Did it come up during your interview ? Did they ask about your new school ? I-20?
Thank you for your infromation

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.