Samuel J

Question about Part 1 in the I 130 for Parents

10 posts in this topic

Hello guys - I'm a newbie to the forum.  I'm hoping you guys will be able to help me out with a few questions as I fill out the I 130 for my parents.

In Part 1. Relationship - of course I've checked the box in question number 1 to indicate it's for a parent.  However question # 2 is confusing me. Following is what's being asked in question  # 2:

If you are filing this petition for your child or parent, select the box that describes your relationship (Select only one box):

a)Child was born to parents who were married to each other at the time of the child's birth
  b) Stepchild/Stepparent
  c)Child was born to parents who were not married to
      each other at the time of the child's birth Child was adopted (not an Orphan or Hague
  d)Convention adoptee)

So I'll tell you they are my biological parents, so b is not applicable.  They were married when I was born, so C is also not applicable.  I wasn't adopted either, which left me with only a. Now I would gladly check option (a) except that it makes me think if this is only applicable to a US citizen filling out for their child (not parent).  

So my question is can this be left blank in this situation?  

What have you guys done? I'd really appreciate your feedback as I'm filling this out myself without an attorney's help.

Regards,

Samuel

29 minutes ago, Samuel J said:

So I'll tell you they are my biological parents, so b is not applicable.  They were married when I was born, so C is also not applicable.  I wasn't adopted either, which left me with only a.

Select option A. The reason they is ask is for people who select C for fathers: https://www.visajourney.com/content/immigration-parents/ "My father. I was born out of wedlock and legitimated" and "My father. I was born out of wedlock and was not legitimated"

29 minutes ago, Samuel J said:

as I fill out the I 130 for my parents.

Just a reminder that it's 2 I-130 petitions; 1 for each parent.

Edited by HRQX

Thanks so much for the speedy response HRQX. That's what I thought (by process of elimination) but was really curious if the question would only be applicable if I was doing it for my child. Anyway, thanks and I will select A.

I do have one more quick question for you -  in PART 2 (Address History section) - they have physical address 1 and Physical address 2, I left Physical address 1 blank as my mailing address is the same as the current physical address, and filled out the Physical address 2 (# 14 - 15) with the address we were in last year before the new house, however we were only at address two for 1 year, so I'm trying to figure out if I need to provide address 3 (prior to June 2018 ) because I read it somewhere that they ask for 5 years of previous address history.  I'm confused because if that was truly the case, they would have provided more options for address 3 and possibly 4.  Anyway, I guess my question is do I fill out part 9 for the third address? Thanks again in advance!

3 hours ago, HRQX said:

Select option A. The reason they is ask is for people who select C for fathers: https://www.visajourney.com/content/immigration-parents/ "My father. I was born out of wedlock and legitimated" and "My father. I was born out of wedlock and was not legitimated"

Just a reminder that it's 2 I-130 petitions; 1 for each parent.

And yes, I did realize there were separate forms for each, thanks for the reminder though. I'm sending them at the same time in the same package I'm assuming?  Correct?

57 minutes ago, Samuel J said:

in PART 2 (Address History section) - they have physical address 1 and Physical address 2, I left Physical address 1 blank as my mailing address is the same as the current physical address, and filled out the Physical address 2 (# 14 - 15) with the address we were in last year before the new house, however we were only at address two for 1 year, so I'm trying to figure out if I need to provide address 3 (prior to June 2018 ) because I read it somewhere that they ask for 5 years of previous address history.  I'm confused because if that was truly the case, they would have provided more options for address 3 and possibly 4.  Anyway, I guess my question is do I fill out part 9 for the third address?

Part 2 #11 you already answered "Yes."

Part 2 #12-13 put the address you were last year; they'll figure out from this section's "Date To" field how long you've been at your current address.

Part 2 #14-15 put the address prior to June 2018.

If there is an additional address in the last 5 years use Part 9.

58 minutes ago, Samuel J said:

I'm sending them at the same time in the same package I'm assuming?

You can send them all together. Each petition should be accompanied with its own set of photocopies of documents: https://www.visajourney.com/content/immigration-parents/

https://www.uscis.gov/forms-filing-tips "If you are sending more than one case in an envelope, clearly separate the cases by rubber band or fasteners."

1 hour ago, HRQX said:

Part 2 #11 you already answered "Yes."

Part 2 #12-13 put the address you were last year; they'll figure out from this section's "Date To" field how long you've been at your current address.

Part 2 #14-15 put the address prior to June 2018.

If there is an additional address in the last 5 years use Part 9.

You can send them all together. Each petition should be accompanied with its own set of photocopies of documents: https://www.visajourney.com/content/immigration-parents/

https://www.uscis.gov/forms-filing-tips "If you are sending more than one case in an envelope, clearly separate the cases by rubber band or fasteners."

Thank you so much once again! I thought I was staying up to get it done this evening :) I really appreciate your responses and the useful links you've provided. I think it's great that someone such as yourself with extensive knowledge on this subject is helping out folks who are new. Gotta give you props for that. Thank you!

I do have one more address so it'd probably go on that Part 9 like you eluded to, so I guess I'm putting down the page num (2), part num (2) but I'm uncertain about the item number because I can't put 16 (that's a separate item). What do you propose or should I leave that blank?  

Also, attaching a screenshot for your reference in case I need to format the text, I guess just looking for your feedback on how it looks?

Thanks

pict 130.JPG

8 hours ago, HRQX said:

Leaving "Item Number" blank is fine. Or an alternative to using Part 9 is something like the following: https://t6d5m2p2.stackpathcdn.com/cpwp/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/I-130-Attachment-Sample.pdf

Thank you for the idea.  I do like it however I feel it's probably best to just fill out part 9 since they asked to attach additional pages only if you run out of space in part 9. But I think your point is, either way should be good or else you would have told me to stick with one over the other.  

One more thing, while I was looking at your example, I noticed that the person had their A# filled out as well.  Throughout the form including in the beginning in part 2 (question 1 & 2 about A num and the USCIS acct num) - I've left those blanks because I read that if you're a US Citizen you don't need to provide A number even if you once had it prior to becoming citizen? Here's the link to the article! Do you agree with that? 

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/filing-out-submitting-form-i-130-parents-us-citizen.html

4 hours ago, Samuel J said:

I've left those blanks because I read that if you're a US Citizen you don't need to provide A number even if you once had it prior to becoming citizen? Here's the link to the article! Do you agree with that? 

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/filing-out-submitting-form-i-130-parents-us-citizen.html

I agree with the link. Thus, it's optional. The old A number became the USCIS Registration Number on the naturalization certificate.

5 minutes ago, HRQX said:

I agree with the link. Thus, it's optional. The old A number became the USCIS Registration Number on the naturalization certificate.

Awesome! Thanks for looking at the link.  I'll leave the A number field blank.

Also, @HRQX I posted another question, I was wondering if you know anything about that subject.  I need to get a document (birth certificate) translated into English for USCIS (i can't find the one I had)...do you know a USCIS approved service for this? It appears there are quite a few online and they will even email you the document. Any thoughts would be appreciated!  Thanks again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.