Jon Pyo

[J-2 dependent] I have done my AOS interview but... they wanted more evidence...

5 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Hi all,

So disappointing today after my I-485 AOS interview with my US citizen wife. USCIS required me to give more evidence. Besides that everything went fine.

So before my F-1 student visa for my college (6 year college) I went to a public high school under J-2 dependent visa since my father had a J-1 visa (he was a visiting professor at my college). However, under:

INA 212(e), or "Two-Year Home Country Residence Requirement"

I needed evidence that I had resided in my home country for 2 years which I DID (I stayed in my home country for 2-year to do my mandatory military service - in South Korea). Even though I showed documents that I did my military service in my country for 2 years + showed entry&exit of my home country within the last 10 years. 

USCIS wanted me to show more evidence quoted: 

REQUEST FOR EVIDENCE

You must provide the following information in order for us to make a final decision on your case.

• Submit evidence that you have complied with the Two Year Rule requirement under section 212 (E) of the INA (J-1 visa)

I do not want to hire a attorney at this point looking how far I came by myself. But do not know where and whom to get this from.......

All the help would be appreciated.

3 minutes ago, Jon Pyo said:

Even though I showed documents that I did my military service in my country for 2 years + showed entry&exit of my home country within the last 10 years. 

So what did the interviewer say when you show him/her the evidence that you served in the Korean military for the two years and all that? If that was insufficient, what exactly did they require?

Timeline

1 minute ago, USS_Voyager said:

So what did the interviewer say when you show him/her the evidence that you served in the Korean military for the two years and all that? If that was insufficient, what exactly did they require?

They wanted me to show evidence that the 2-year home residency was to comply with the INA 212(e), or "Two-Year Home Country Residence Requirement" for my J-2 visa.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

So I think something that quotes I complied with 2-year home residency under J-1/J-2 INA 212(e).

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Can you obtain your travel history from the border authorities in your home country? Something similar to the I-94 travel history that we can obtain in the USA. Basically showing all the dates that you had entered and left your home country. That's what I used to prove my 2 year HRR. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.