Jes1

RFE divorce decree. Don’t know what to do😔

6 posts in this topic

Hello members, 

I filed form 751 to remove conditions with a divorce waiver. Had interview. IO asked me to mail certified divorce decree in 87 days. The problem is that time is running out. I’m not sure if I will have it by then. IO told me to get certified letter from divorce court if I cannot submit the divorce decree within the 87 days. But courts don’t write certified letter as I later found out.  I don’t know what do. Has anyone out there gone through this? What happened after the 87 days? What did you do? Thank you.

Edited by Jes1
Wrong spelling

2 hours ago, Jes1 said:

Hello members, 

I filed form 751 to remove conditions with a divorce waiver. Had interview. IO asked me to mail certified divorce decree in 87 days. The problem is that time is running out. I’m not sure if I will have it by then. IO told me to get certified letter from divorce court if I cannot submit the divorce decree within the 87 days. But courts don’t write certified letter as I later found out.  I don’t know what do. Has anyone out there gone through this? What happened after the 87 days? What did you do? Thank you.

From what I have seen, if you cannot provide anything after 87 days, your case will be denied and you will have to apply again... Did you talk to the court over the phone or in person? I would go in person and explain the situation to the court, see if they can give you some sort of letter...I hope everything goes well for you. 

Can you please tell me what they asked in the interview? I would really appreciate it 

Thanks for your response P. So I talked to the court over the phone. Going in person is a great idea, however, a lawyer advised me that courts don’t do certified letters. I read somewhere that someone had the same situation. They submitted their divorce decree a year after the 87 days. They were somehow able to obtain I-551 stamp in their passport. Online status was “pending.” They hadn’t heard anything from uscis. Also they wanted to know how long they should wait. They were advised to contact their local office.

I had my interview in SF, CA. I thought that she was going to ask me a lot of questions. She did not. But she got fixated on the dates, times. Like how long were you married? Did you live together the entire period? From when to when? June to April? Why did you move to this address? For school? For how long? All this time, she’s writing down everything. Do you have kids together? The whole question process took around 10 to 15 mins. I was nervous but tried to calm myself down. 

Anyone out there trying to do the divorce waiver thing, make sure you have your divorce decree. Or make sure you have it by the time you go to the interview. I could be placed in removal procedings. It’s a bad feeling. I don’t wish it on my enemies. 

Edited by Jes1

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Each of the state's have different laws and regulations for obtaining assorted certified documents, such as, birth certificates, divorce decrees. Since your timeline is vacant, I can tell which state has jurisdiction in this matter. Some states have Department of Vital Statistics where you can obtain certified documents for a small fee. Still other states require you to contact the clerk of the court where the divorce was finalized. Similar type of arrangement you can obtain certified documents for a small fee.  There may be other procedures in other states. Suggest that you do a Google search for divorce decrees in your state/jurisdiction.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Hello , 

i just went through this with my K1 visa. I’ve used this website before https://www.vitalchek.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0YDStdeq5AIVBp-fCh3KWQC1EAAYAiAAEgI79_D_BwE&click_id=980658891875352578&ppc=0

I am in NYC I went down to the county clerks office and walked out with it in hand in 10 minutes. I didn’t think it would be that easy but it was 🤓

Wishing you the best of luck 

I really am not sure if can get a certified letter thru phone but may be walk in court house u may get a help with ur situation !

well for me I’ve filed initially Apr 2018 in CSC with divorce court’ paper pending & later in 4 months I’ve got my final divorce decree which I sent it out to USCIS with a copy of my extension receipt letter! Had bio done March 2019 , since then just waiting ! Online status says if they will accept my case will receive a notice if reject it will get latter with instructions !it’s been like 16 months now ! No ref no interview but silent stressing wait game !!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.