854Turbo

Change of Address - transferring case to another jurisdiction

1 post in this topic

Hi all,

Recently posted about some woes with the Address Change process. Figured it out eventually. Filing the AR11 online did nothing to change the address in the USCIS systems. When I called them, they saw no request despite my confirmation receipt. So they put in a manual request to update the address on the I485, which they said goes to the field office that has jurisdiction over my case and they update it manually. About a week later, I received an email informing me that the address on my I-485 has been updated. The other thing I noticed is that in the online case tracker, the date changed. It used to say "As of March XX, your case is ready to be scheduled for an interview." Now it says, "As of August XX, your case is ready to be scheduled for an interview."

Good so far. But I'm confused as to the whereabouts of my case. A USCIS rep told me that the address has been updated, the application shows it correctly, but they also said that my case has NOT been transferred. What does that mean? Is my file just sitting at a desk in the previous local field office? What has to happen for the new field office to request it? The rep just told me to wait and that there was nothing I can do about it. Shouldn't they contact the previous field office and request that the file be transferred back to the national service center and/or the new field office?

Has anyone dealt with this situation before?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.