icecream123

RFE response time after AOS interview

4 posts in this topic

Hello Friends,

My wife entered the US on a K-1 visa and she had her green card interview on June 2019 at the USCIS Salt Lake City field office. Unfortunately, the IO didn't have the medical on file (the brown envelope that my wife turned in at the border security upon entering the US) and sent a RFE to send a completed new medical and be sent to the Helena Field Office in Montana. Why did the RFE mention to send the documents to a different field office in Montana and not the local USCIS office? It has been almost 2 weeks now since the RFE was sent, but we didn't hear anything back from USCIS yet. The case status still shows 'Interview Was Scheduled'. Since we mailed the documents to a different field office where the interview didn't take place, does anyone know what happens from here? Which office verifies the documents and approves the application, and from where does the green card gets printed and sent? And how long does this whole process take as we need to travel outside the country very soon to take care of my mother-in-law who has some medical issues. Is it ok to travel outside the country in this situation with a travel parole or wait until my wife gets the actual green card in hand? Your answers are very much appreciated. Thanks everyone!  

We had our interview at the same office. At that time it seemed that our medical had expired and he gave a sheet with the same Montana address. He said it's because they need the work. 

As you know USCIS has been shifting case loads around to different jurisdictions just to balance out the work load for each office. 

Our green card was sent from Lee's Summit Missouri. I would wait for the Green card for traveling but that's just me. 

Edited by little immigrant

6 minutes ago, little immigrant said:

We had our interview at the same office. At that time it seemed that our medical had expired and he gave a sheet with the same Montana address. He said it's because they need the work. 

As you know USCIS has been shifting case loads around to different jurisdictions just to balance out the work load for each office. 

Our green card was sent from Lee's Summit Missouri. I would wait for the Green card for traveling but that's just me. 

Thanks for the reply. Do you know how long it takes to receive the green card once the RFE was sent? Medical is the only item they requested for in order to approve the application.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.