Jump to content

Police Certificate for Packet to send to NVC

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

The Document Cover Sheet for the packet to send to NVC calls for "Police Certificate(s) with translation." When I went to the local RCMP office they kind of looked at me as though I was making an unusual request. They came back with a form headed "Chase RCMP Detachment Police Information Check." It came back with X's for 4 items:

1. A vulnerable sector check was not requested.

2. Outstanding charges. Negative

3. Other convictions - Negative

4 Adverse Contact - Negative - and in the same section, an X indicating that "applicant does nott work with vulnerable sector." 


The document is dated Nov 15, 2018, and it is now Aug 11, 2019. 


They didn't even want to add a signature but finally relented and a supervisor (I assume) signed it. 

They just gave me the 3 completed pages in a plain envelope. 


Now I'm wondering if this is the kind of "police check" that is required.

Is the fact that this is more than 6 months old now create a problem. 


In putting together my packet, I looked at this again and thought it would be a shame if my application was held up because there was something wrong with the document. Also, should this be in some kind of sealed envelope? 


Can anyone advise? 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

To answer my own question:

From https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Canada.html I found that I need a "Certified Criminal Record Check," and I need to request it under the "Privacy Act," not "Immigration." (RCMP will *ask* for reasons for the check.) The process involves finger prints, which the local police/RCMP office should be able to do. 

The process for getting the certified criminal  is outlined at https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Canada.html

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...