Derek & Cece

DS-160 Visa Fee Issue?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
4 hours ago, Derek & Cece said:

Bittersweet update. We finally got our reply from them but they said: 

"Our office has received all requested documents to schedule your appointment, however, appointments are fully booked at this time. 

You have been placed on a waitlist to be scheduled once new appointments are released. We thank you for your patience and hope to get back to you at our soonest."

So tragic! 😢

Oh no!! That's horrible. Hopefully they can't and won't keep you waiting for too long. We had a bit of a longer wait for our NOA2 and also got an RFE for a supporting document that we had already included in our original petition. It is really frustrating waiting, but hopefully you can keep busy in the meantime with the medical and getting documents ready for the interview. Thinking of you both, will keep an eye on your timeline and hoping that you get some good news sooner rather than later! 🤞

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

We just got our an e-mail from Dr Sinclair in Perth for the medical exam and it says that "the cost for a US Visa Medical is up to $1200.00 + GST for an adult. This fee depends on the number of blood tests required. Any vaccinations that are required are NOT included in this fee." Will it really be so much? $1,200 sounds like a lot especially if it doesn't include whatever vaccinations she might need >_>

Timeline

@Derek & Cece 

Hey mate, gotta agree, $1200 seems extreme! Also saw some of your other posts about being quoted $500 just for the immunity test. I’m no expert on this stuff, but that seems ridiculous too. In addition, I can’t imagine actually having all the minimum vaccinations required (if needed) would cost more the $200 (assuming you got all this sorted with a doctor prior to the medical).

The only thing that might be affecting the prices you are being quoted is if your fiancé is seeing a doctor without being on medicare. As a permanent resident in Australia, I believe she is entitled to apply for medicare if she has not already. This may take extra time if you need to do that too though. You can't use medicare for the visa medical or anything they provide to you during that consult, but you can use it for seeing a doctor outside of that setting. 

For the Sydney medical, it was as follows:

"$520 AUD (as of 1st October 2018 and subject to change). This is the total fee: which comprises three seperate payments; X ray, pathology and the medical need to be paid separately. If you require vaccines or further tests, extra fees will be incurred."

Minimum requirements for immunisation were: DTP (Diphtheria Tetanus Pertussis); MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella); Chicken Pox (Varicella); Influenza Vaccine (for Medicals during 01Apr to 31Oct only).

As previously mentioned, I had no records for vaccinations other than DTP as I had that redone in the past 10 years, and I had the flu shot recently. I went to my regular doctor which costs me $80 AUD. (My doctor is not a bulk billing/medical centre doctor, but I imagine going to one would only make it cheaper). I requested to have the blood test for immunities for the minimum requirements only (MMR + Varicella). It did not cost me anything for the blood test, just had to go in for another appointment with the doctor to get the results, which were all positive.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Eagleburra said:

@Derek & Cece 

Hey mate, gotta agree, $1200 seems extreme! Also saw some of your other posts about being quoted $500 just for the immunity test. I’m no expert on this stuff, but that seems ridiculous too. In addition, I can’t imagine actually having all the minimum vaccinations required (if needed) would cost more the $200 (assuming you got all this sorted with a doctor prior to the medical).

The only thing that might be affecting the prices you are being quoted is if your fiancé is seeing a doctor without being on medicare. As a permanent resident in Australia, I believe she is entitled to apply for medicare if she has not already. This may take extra time if you need to do that too though. You can't use medicare for the visa medical or anything they provide to you during that consult, but you can use it for seeing a doctor outside of that setting. 

For the Sydney medical, it was as follows:

"$520 AUD (as of 1st October 2018 and subject to change). This is the total fee: which comprises three seperate payments; X ray, pathology and the medical need to be paid separately. If you require vaccines or further tests, extra fees will be incurred."

Minimum requirements for immunisation were: DTP (Diphtheria Tetanus Pertussis); MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella); Chicken Pox (Varicella); Influenza Vaccine (for Medicals during 01Apr to 31Oct only).

As previously mentioned, I had no records for vaccinations other than DTP as I had that redone in the past 10 years, and I had the flu shot recently. I went to my regular doctor which costs me $80 AUD. (My doctor is not a bulk billing/medical centre doctor, but I imagine going to one would only make it cheaper). I requested to have the blood test for immunities for the minimum requirements only (MMR + Varicella). It did not cost me anything for the blood test, just had to go in for another appointment with the doctor to get the results, which were all positive.

Australian Medicare will never pay for this exam or associated blood tests etc. Our exams in Melbourne 3 years ago were $525 each and any vaccinations needed were on top of that. The blood tests checking current status immunities won’t be cheap. She should be able to get first round of the needed vaccines at a walk in clinic .. even self pay it would be cheaper than blood tests I imagine .. she should ask what the cost is for the exam without immunisation blood tests 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Lil bear said:

Australian Medicare will never pay for this exam or associated blood tests etc. Our exams in Melbourne 3 years ago were $525 each and any vaccinations needed were on top of that. The blood tests checking current status immunities won’t be cheap. She should be able to get first round of the needed vaccines at a walk in clinic .. even self pay it would be cheaper than blood tests I imagine .. she should ask what the cost is for the exam without immunisation blood tests 

As I stated above, Medicare will NOT cover the visa medical or any associated costs (eg. Pathology/XRay). I was referring to her seeing a regular doctor prior to the medical to get tested for immunities, and then getting vaccinations if required. I did this only a few weeks ago, and the blood test did not cost me anything, so I assume it was covered by medicare. But I could be wrong, but just offering my recent experience. 

Either way,  "up to $1200" with vaccinations being extra does seem extreme. For that kind of money, I would hope the visa doctor could tell them a bit more about the itemised costs. Maybe just give them a call @Derek & Cece and see what they can tell you. 

Timeline

I totally agree with @Lil bear though, that if you are being quoted a lot of money for the blood test for immunisations, just best to go ahead and get the vaccinations done. A lot more simple and likely cheaper, especially if she is doubtful that she has ever had any vaccinations done before. 

It would be great if she could get the visa medical done in Sydney as it seems cheaper than Perth, especially when she'll have to go to Sydney for the interview anyway. But seeing as the embassy is waitlisting for the interview, that is pain in the butt to try and organise without a date! 

Edited by Eagleburra

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Eagleburra said:

As I stated above, Medicare will NOT cover the visa medical or any associated costs (eg. Pathology/XRay). I was referring to her seeing a regular doctor prior to the medical to get tested for immunities, and then getting vaccinations if required. I did this only a few weeks ago, and the blood test did not cost me anything, so I assume it was covered by medicare. But I could be wrong, but just offering my recent experience. 

Either way,  "up to $1200" with vaccinations being extra does seem extreme. For that kind of money, I would hope the visa doctor could tell them a bit more about the itemised costs. Maybe just give them a call @Derek & Cece and see what they can tell you. 

Sorry to clarify, the $500 for the blood tests to determine what vaccines she already carries was a quote from Lagoon Medical Centre in Yangebup WA. She made an appointment with a different doctor, the regular one she sees, and we hope that he might be able to help get these blood tests done without it costing so much. It probably comes down to how it's billed. Lagoon said 'because this is for immigration, Medicare won't pay' and it shouldn't have been billed that way because finding out what vaccines she has is something she could be doing just because she wants to have records while it will save her from doing the same during her Medical Exam it's not something she's required to do in advance.

We intend to ask them when we call to book the medical appointment to break down the costs for us so we have a better idea of what to expect for the Medical Exam costs.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.