xulakolof

Got I797s for I131 and I765 but haven't received card/document yet

4 posts in this topic

Hello, we filed an I-485 last summer and in February we received an I-797 stating that her I765 is approved and that they would be mailing an EAD card or Form I-760.  We also received a second I-797 approving her I-131 to travel out of the US and that he document would be mailed. The I797 states that it's active and the validity is until 2020. 

It's now July and we haven't received any of the listed documents.  I imagine they have our correct address because it's the same address they sent the I-797 documents.  We have travel planned mid-August out of the country and it would be great to have at least the I-131 in hand.  Is it normal for these documents to take so long to be sent?  Is there any action we can do to find out what's going on or expedite this process?  She's on a student visa, she's taken her biometrics but we don't have our interview scheduled yet.  Is it safe for her to leave the country either before or after receiving the EAD or I-131?

Thank you!

You should check the status of your case online. 

It will tell you if your combo card was mailed and/or returned.

After approval, cards usually arrive a week after they're produced. In your case, it has been 6 months, so there is definitely some issue going on. 

Well it turns out she did receive it and either didn't tell me or maybe she did but I had forgotten since the biggest concern is her being allowed out of the country to visit her sick mother.

I'm looking at it now and it's the EAD card alright. It says at the bottom: "Serves as I-512 Advance Parole".  She didn't receive the turquoise I-131 travel document but I assume this I-512 means the same?  Is it safe for her to travel out of the country given her current status?

Correct. You received a combo card, that serves as employment authorization and advance parole. 

It is safe for her to travel with it; she will just be sent to secondary inspection when entering back. 

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.