Help_us

N-400 online vs mail

3 posts in this topic

I will be filing a citizenship application in NJ  after being a green card holder for 5 years

Is it better to file online or by mail?

- I have read a number of postings which say that online is faster

- I have also read some postings which imply that background tests were delayed for online filers

- Some other postings talked about difficulty in uploading scans of Green cards or deleting incorrect scans when filing online

Which option would you suggest and are there still issues with uploading revised scans when filing online?

Thanks

Filed: Timeline
46 minutes ago, Help_us said:

I will be filing a citizenship application in NJ  after being a green card holder for 5 years

Is it better to file online or by mail?

- I have read a number of postings which say that online is faster

- I have also read some postings which imply that background tests were delayed for online filers

- Some other postings talked about difficulty in uploading scans of Green cards or deleting incorrect scans when filing online

Which option would you suggest and are there still issues with uploading revised scans when filing online?

Thanks

1. I am not sold that online is now faster than snail mail. It may have been initially, at least it was when I was looking into this 24 months ago. Don't think that is true anymore. 

2. Do you have any references to these delays in background tests being specific to the person filing online? I only ask because this seems surprising. 

3. I was able to upload all the material online. 

I am not convinced that online is totally bug free, I had some weird idiosyncrasies, e.g. with addresses not being updated. Having said that, there was (for me) a huge level of convenience in not having to print a ton of documents, have a copy of content online. Another pro (and sometimes con) is being able to get updates on the process without having to wait for a mail. 

1) This post is not very clear but implies that the problem was with the ELIS electronic filing system which was truncating names when sending them for FBI check. The post is a little confusing where they initially talk about paper filings converted to electronic IOE and 2nd last para which implies that an issue for both people who filed initially electronically and whose applications were converted to electronic

https://www.klinkeimmigration.com/blog/2016/december/what-s-going-on-with-my-naturalization-case-/

2) Did you or anyone who filed in the last 6 months have problems uploading or revising uploaded documents?

Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.