zoomzoom1980

N-400 window opened (5 year rule)

11 posts in this topic

Good day VJ'ers;

I hope all your journeys are going well. My N-400 time is opened for 5 year rule and wanting to know your experiences recently. I did read most of the N-400 stuff on the site and most of you all recommending applying online and I think I will go that route.

I was happily married for 6 years and recently divorced (7 months). I do have my divorce decree in hand.  I do understand that USCIS does not care about the 5 year rule and just wanting a copy of green card (front and back) and a copy of the divorce decree but I was just checking to see if uploading the documents online or if you had any issues with the whole process or maybe any other documents needed if asked? I did most of my GC process by myself and hoping to do this without any attorney help also.

I do understand that they will be asking me written and verbal questions during the interview for English proficiency but I was not sure when am I going to take the big test so that I can get ready for that. And also, I lost the link (youtube or whatever is out there these days) about the questions. If  you can assist me on that, that would be amazing as well..

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you and hope you all have an amazing week.

Note : I believe the online wait is about 6 - 7 months, am I accurate ? 

May 3rd - Send to Lockbox Chicago

May 4th - Signed (Fedex Overnight)

May 12th - RFE (Send back because of incorrect fee)

May 14th - Send to Lockbox Chicago

May 15th - Signed

April 1st - Email notifications received (12:20am)

1. If you are allowed and decide to file your application online then based on your responses, the website will ask what docs you need to upload. 

2. They are quite simple tests and the fact that you from UK helps :) as English should not be an issue.  You can access the study guide 

https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/learners/study-test

3. I will say it is more, like around 1 years.

I appreciate your response nguoivietnam2019. 

I guess I will be taking the English and the Civics test at the same time as I am in the interview, am I right ?

I heard that leaving the country around the same time for waiting for N-400 is not a good idea, what do you think about that ?

I appreciate your help.

May 15th - Signed

11 minutes ago, zoomzoom1980 said:

I appreciate your response nguoivietnam2019. 

I guess I will be taking the English and the Civics test at the same time as I am in the interview, am I right ?

I heard that leaving the country around the same time for waiting for N-400 is not a good idea, what do you think about that ?

I appreciate your help.

1. Yes, same time and they are normally short (5-10 mins). 

• I was asked around 6-7 questions, read 1 sentence, and write 1 sentence.  I was asked to write anything as long as it was a complete sentence :) 

2. Depending on how long you will leave and how long after you complete your bio-metric.  I will not worry if travel for short period of time.

Edited by nguoivietnam2019

Ok, awesome!.

how was your experience with the N-400 ?

May 15th - Signed

2 minutes ago, zoomzoom1980 said:

Ok, awesome!.

how was your experience with the N-400 ?

Very good, interviewer was very nice and I was first or second one to be interviewed on that day.  To be honest at that time, I was too busy with other things so I did not pay much attention thus 0 anxiety with the waiting. 

That's good to know. Did you do the 3 or 5 year rule ? 

What documents did you bring with you ? Did you have an attorney ? 

May 15th - Signed

2 minutes ago, zoomzoom1980 said:

That's good to know. Did you do the 3 or 5 year rule ? 

What documents did you bring with you ? Did you have an attorney ? 

5 years - citations & payments that I made for my civil violations - no attorney.

I do not think attorney can do anything for N-400 and N-400 I  consider quite simple.

I appreciate your help.

Hopefully it all goes well.

May 15th - Signed

• 4 months later...

If someone filed under 5 year rule can they write the questions regarding why is 5 year rule not 3 year? 

01/14/2020 - filed N400 Miami FL

01/18/2020 - NOA Biometric scheduled 

02/05/2020 - Biometrics done 

03/13/2020 - Interview scheduled - canceled due Covid19

08/19/2020 - Interview 

08/27/2020 - OATH Ceremony MIAMI FL 

Done with USCIS  !!!! Good luck everyone!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.