cheeky^Wolf

Back from England and need to rant

18 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I never thought 2 weeks in England would be too long... but it was! While it was great to see the family, friends, castles, old buildings, eat proper bacon, bread and curry etc, I was homesick for the US!

It all started with a pompous upper class idiot sitting next to us on the plane, who reminded me of why some English people piss me off. He was downright rude to us and to the stewards, and for no reason. We decided he was a frustrated first class traveller who couldn't afford it so was slumming it with us. Made himself feel better by having his foot over the line into first class so he could tell his pals at the golf club he flew in luxury.

The farce which is now Gatwick airport was enough to make me never go back. Oh My God what a nightmare. Continental Airlines allows you 2 pieces of hand luggage but Gatwick allows you one. So I'm frantically trying to fit my handbag into my overstuffed carry on bag when some "official" points out (in broken English) it's not going to fit. No Sh!t sherlock!! Eventually we got thru security, after an hour. Probably didn't help it's half term this week and the world and his mother were in the airport. Then I lined up for 20 mins to buy a drink and a paper!

My parents threw us a party to make it easier to see all the family and friends in one go. They hired their village hall and we took everything down there to set up for the evening. In true English fashion, when we left the hall for an hour to get changed, some little darlings broke in and took 2 bottles of vodka, a bottle of bacardi and a case of beer. Bless them!

So the first thing I bought on my return was a bread maker. After fresh bread every day I can't bring myself to eat the packaged stuff here. First loaf is happening right now, I'm excited!!

We did manage to stock up on lots of goodies, bisto, chocolate hob nobs, galaxy, mini cheddars, marmite and curry sauces. However I think next time I'll just order online... it'll be much less stressful!

Helen

10 year Green Card received, Next step is citizenship urgh!

When you meet the one you want to spend the rest of your life with,

you can't wait for the rest of your life to begin

The farce which is now Gatwick airport was enough to make me never go back. Oh My God what a nightmare. Continental Airlines allows you 2 pieces of hand luggage but Gatwick allows you one. So I'm frantically trying to fit my handbag into my overstuffed carry on bag when some "official" points out (in broken English) it's not going to fit. No Sh!t sherlock!! Eventually we got thru security, after an hour. Probably didn't help it's half term this week and the world and his mother were in the airport. Then I lined up for 20 mins to buy a drink and a paper!

:thumbs:

AGREED!! My experience on Sunday was horrible! I knew about the bag restrictions so I'd planned for that one (they got me on that one last trip, though.) I didn't, however, plan for rudeness at the desk because I was late - yeah, I knew the trains would be delayed, just waiting around for giggles to see if you'd let me on the plane anyway. I then find out that they had refused to let others on the plane that were connecting from another AA flight to the one I was supposed to be on - even though they were there an hour before departure. Special. I was there 40 minutes before my flight (yes, late, I know. Thank you public transportation - stupid us for not allowing 5 hours to get to the airport), and was told I was too late to get on the plane. When I asked about the later flight, I got "it's probably full, but check the sales desk." What a snotty cow. I've gotten to Gatwick that late before (that time was our fault - just dragging our feet), and no questions asked. They called the gate to let them know I was there, and I sprinted to the gate. This time....noooooooo....$200 transfer fee for getting on standby for the late flight.

Yeah - I know, our fault, but how about a LITTLE customer service, huh?

I feel you, Wolf. So glad the rest of your trip went well, though! Weather was lovely up until Saturday, wasn't it?

Our Visa Journey

2/13 - I-129F sent to TSC

7/31 - K1 - APPROVED

8/5 - POE @ Dallas/Ft. Worth

8/11 - Wedding!!

10/15 - received Greencard

Got 10-year Greencard

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Mmmmm, biscuitssssssss . . . . .

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Uh...you know better than to expect that in England, right? :lol:

KIDDING...they're usually not that bad. ;)

:lol: Indeed. Can I blame AA and rant at them, then? (Hope so cause I already sent a formal complaint)

Our Visa Journey

7/31 - K1 - APPROVED

8/11 - Wedding!!

Got 10-year Greencard

Sorry to hear you had problems too Dan&Tiffany. I've flown back n forth between the US and UK regularly since I was 5, and for the first time we got charged excess baggage which didn't help my mood! Only $25 and we were 10lbs over (oops) so I shouldn't be complaining.

The weather was fantastic last week, apparently it's rained since Sunday non stop. Our first week was dreary at first, in true British fashion!

You saying about complaining to AA reminded me, I'm going to write to Continental and complain.... 4 hours into the flight, the duty free's coming around and the captain comes on "ladies and gentlemen, I must inform you of a serious security breach which has occurred in the main cabin and been brought to my attention" at this point I'm thinking shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit and my hearts racing, everyone's looking around for suspicious people but the stewards are carrying on serving duty free so we're all thinking well? what's going on? then he goes on "people keep congregating around the lavatories and this is a breach of TSA rules". You could hear the plane breathe a sigh of relief. Why the hell he said it the way he did I don't know. Why not say "just a reminder, don't stand around the toilets" (like he did a little later on).

Damn a rant feels good now n then!

10 year Green Card received, Next step is citizenship urgh!

When you meet the one you want to spend the rest of your life with,

you can't wait for the rest of your life to begin

Haha! You bet it does - so does sending a complaint into never never land (AKA American Airlines). At least it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Our Visa Journey

7/31 - K1 - APPROVED

8/11 - Wedding!!

Got 10-year Greencard

Wait, so you flew on AA and they charged $200 to go standby on the next flight because you missed your first flight?

No way! Stomp your feet and refused to pay! US based airlines are usually fairly liberal on this (ie this would never happen ex US airports) You might guy the rolling of the eyes - another American, but so what!

:thumbs:

AGREED!! My experience on Sunday was horrible! I knew about the bag restrictions so I'd planned for that one (they got me on that one last trip, though.) I didn't, however, plan for rudeness at the desk because I was late - yeah, I knew the trains would be delayed, just waiting around for giggles to see if you'd let me on the plane anyway. I then find out that they had refused to let others on the plane that were connecting from another AA flight to the one I was supposed to be on - even though they were there an hour before departure. Special. I was there 40 minutes before my flight (yes, late, I know. Thank you public transportation - stupid us for not allowing 5 hours to get to the airport), and was told I was too late to get on the plane. When I asked about the later flight, I got "it's probably full, but check the sales desk." What a snotty cow. I've gotten to Gatwick that late before (that time was our fault - just dragging our feet), and no questions asked. They called the gate to let them know I was there, and I sprinted to the gate. This time....noooooooo....$200 transfer fee for getting on standby for the late flight.

I feel you, Wolf. So glad the rest of your trip went well, though! Weather was lovely up until Saturday, wasn't it?

Lifting Conditions

01/19/2010 - Mailed I-751 Packet

Wait, so you flew on AA and they charged $200 to go standby on the next flight because you missed your first flight?

No way! Stomp your feet and refused to pay! US based airlines are usually fairly liberal on this (ie this would never happen ex US airports) You might guy the rolling of the eyes - another American, but so what!

Yep! Crazy, isn't it? When I wrote my little complaint, I also mentioned that we have flown 9 times Dallas <-> Gatwick in the past 18 months and will be purchasing 8 tickets from Gatwick to Dallas for our wedding soon, and if this is the service we can expect from AA, we'll fly with another airline. I know that may be small business compared to a lot of others, but we've definitely sunk enough into that airline to get some sort of response from them.

Our Visa Journey

7/31 - K1 - APPROVED

8/11 - Wedding!!

Got 10-year Greencard

DO NOT every pay again! Seriously, you stand there stomping your feet demanding a supervisor. Even easyjet (though not ryanair) will transfer you onto the next flight free if you just missed your flight. Have you established any frequent flyer status with AA with all your flights? Generally, that helps a lot - even if you are the lowest tier.

This doesn't often work with Non US airlines in UK/Europe - but it certainly should for US based airlines. Their policies are much more libral (I know, I work for one!)

Goodluck and keep us posted on any AA reply.

Yep! Crazy, isn't it? When I wrote my little complaint, I also mentioned that we have flown 9 times Dallas <-> Gatwick in the past 18 months and will be purchasing 8 tickets from Gatwick to Dallas for our wedding soon, and if this is the service we can expect from AA, we'll fly with another airline. I know that may be small business compared to a lot of others, but we've definitely sunk enough into that airline to get some sort of response from them.

Lifting Conditions

01/19/2010 - Mailed I-751 Packet

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I would go through all of that with a hot poker up my bum... just to go home right now !

:crying:

K1

08-14-2006 Sent I-129F sent

09-11-2006 NOA1 Received

11-09-2006 RFE Issued

11-17-2006 RFE Arrives via Snail mail

11-27-2006 RFE Returned to visa land

01-09-2007 NOA2!!!!!!!

01-29-2007 Packet 3 Recieved

02-05-2007 Packet 3 sent to embassy

02-13-2007 Medical booked for March 12th

02-15-2007 INTERVIEW MARCH 13th

03-12-2007 medical... easy peasy!

03-13-2007 Interview.... I passed!!

03-20-2007 VISA IN HAND!

03-22-2007 FLY HOME!

04-04-07 Filled for SS #

04-05-2007 Wedding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

04-10-2007 Marrige Cert arrived in post!

AOS

04-12-2007 Sent off

04-14-2007 Arrived in Chicago

04-23-2007 NOA1

04-23-2007 Cheque cashed

04-30-2007 Biometrics appointment May 10th

05-10-2007 Biometrics appointment.. quick and easy

05-17-2007 Moved to CSC

06-01-2007 Recieved at CSC

06-03-2007 Touched

06-04-2007 Touched

06-05-2007 Touched

06-06-2007 Touched.... waaaaaa Is this good or bad???

06-19-2007 WELCOME LETTER EMAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!

06-20-2007 Touched

06-24-2007 Touched

06-25-2007 GREEN CARD in HAND!!!!!!!!

EAD

04-12-2007 Sent off

04-23-2007 NOA1

04-23-2007 Cheque cashed

04-30-2007 Biometrics appointment May 10th

05-10-2007 Biometrics appointment.. quick and easy

06-27-2007 Card Ordered

AP

04-12-2007 Sent off

04-23-2007 NOA1

04-23-2007 Cheque cashed

06-27-2007 Aprroved... after green card!

1.png

Filed: Timeline

Unfortunately if you want to fly direct from DFW to London your only options are BA and AA. Any other airline is going to force you to fly through a gateway. :angry:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

It all started with a pompous upper class idiot sitting next to us on the plane, who reminded me of why some English people piss me off. He was downright rude to us and to the stewards, and for no reason. We decided he was a frustrated first class traveller who couldn't afford it so was slumming it with us. Made himself feel better by having his foot over the line into first class so he could tell his pals at the golf club he flew in luxury.

I can top this with the number of times I've run into ultra-ultra-pompous desis (especially those settled/born in UK) shortly before landing in India.
Maybe you should have put a "broadcast" message in the OT forum asking how to overload-pack; there should be enough "experts" at this in VJ. :lol: :lol:
My parents threw us a party to make it easier to see all the family and friends in one go. They hired their village hall and we took everything down there to set up for the evening. In true English fashion, when we left the hall for an hour to get changed, some little darlings broke in and took 2 bottles of vodka, a bottle of bacardi and a case of beer. Bless them!

So the first thing I bought on my return was a bread maker. After fresh bread every day I can't bring myself to eat the packaged stuff here. First loaf is happening right now, I'm excited!!

We did manage to stock up on lots of goodies, bisto, chocolate hob nobs, galaxy, mini cheddars, marmite and curry sauces. However I think next time I'll just order online... it'll be much less stressful!

Helen

It ended well, at least.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Unfortunately if you want to fly direct from DFW to London your only options are BA and AA. Any other airline is going to force you to fly through a gateway. :angry:

I know. Sucks, doesn't it? Not much of a choice either way, there.

Our Visa Journey

7/31 - K1 - APPROVED

8/11 - Wedding!!

Got 10-year Greencard

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.