ClimberBeta

AoS Support Documents (Interview)

2 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

Apologies if this is the wrong forum or an inappropriate question but I had a question about support to bring to the green card interview for my wife. Online experiences vary, with some people bringing very few and others bringing what seems like boxes. My wife (International) and I married last year in June and began the Adjustment of Status later in August. She graduated from university last year and I will graduate this year. Since we've both just graduated (aka are dead broke) and really aren't big on formalities, we decided to forgo the wedding at that point in time. We went on a nice camping trip after our ceremony to celebrate instead. Now I'm worried that we don't have enough statement of support. We currently don't have a joint bank account since we usually just use our own debit cards and she'll venmo me money if I'm too low, just a joint credit card which we use for maybe 70-80% of our purchases.  We also don't share insurance/phone contract since I'm on my parent's family plan or automotive insurance since she doesn' t have a license and i drive her everywhere.

I've listed our support below but would love if anybody had other suggestions for what we can bring. Thanks!

Also, we're thinking of having two of our close friends and my brother write affidavits. Has anybody had any experiences with affidavits?

-Pictures of us together on dates, trips, or with friends from when we started dating (2016) to present. Includes pictures with her family and my family. ~50 pictures.

-Tickets from conventions, events, and shows we've been to together listing our names.

-Travel receipts for hotels

-Lease agreement from 2017-2018 school year when we signed together. We're currently living together--however, since she wasn't sure where she'd find a job immediately after graduating and I only had 1 semester left, I signed the lease (2018-2019) in case she had to move cities. We'll be moving end of June anyways to be closer to her work.

-A combination of individual bills (internet comes from her bank account, utilities from mine) showing the same address.

-Summary of both our bank account statements demonstrating 

-Variety of medical bills in our addresses.

-Shipping receipts noting our address.

-Facebook chats with friends telling them our address.

-Venmo transfers from one to another. Generally she'll "top me off" to make sure that I still have a fair amount of money in my bank account in case of emergencies.

-Joint tax return

-Thank you letter from a friend referencing both of us

-Hundreds if not thousands of pages of WeChat/Facebook/Gmail Chat messages with each other (thinking of printing out 10-20 pages per year to show that we're talking all the time)

-Phone calls showing them we usually call each other 4-5x per week (generally when she's coming home from work or during her lunch break)

-Medical report from an overnight stay in the hospital noting that I'm her spouse + took her home.

Thanks everyone!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Did you have any photos of your wedding ceremony?

Do your state IDs/DLs have the same address?

Affidavits are generally not considered to be good evidence, they are easily fabricated, and the immigration officials don't think very much of them.

Unless you get a jerk immigration officer, most of them realize that you are newly wed and likely don't yet have a lot of "marriage bonafides" at this stage of the process.

Good luck, certain that others will respond with more evidence ideas.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.