luna1321

Pending N-400 and traveling/relocation

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I currently have I-751 and N-400 in the pending state. I had my N-400 interview on Feb, 14th, but IO couldn't make a decision and I haven't heard anything from them since then. I already submitted 2 inquiries and spoke with Tier 2, no success whatsoever - "We are still reviewing your case.  We will mail you notice when we make a decision" is all I get. So currently I only have a stamp in my passport which will expire in 2 months.

Now about travels:

1) I want to go visit my family abroad for 2 weeks at the beginning of May

2) I and my husband are planning to relocate out of state or possibly out of the country in July/August

Can any of these plans affect my immigration situation at this point? I truly hope they will make a decision by then but knowing USCIS you never know what to expect...LOL

Please advice. Thank you in advance!

Sorry to hear about your situation. I'm in a similar administrative limbo, so I can relate. You can travel abroad without issues, so long as your trip is less than 6 months at a time and you maintain a residence here in the US. If you need to, book an infopass appointment and get a new stamp. On the other hand, relocating abroad before your oath of naturalization can harm your citizenship application.

7 hours ago, afrocraft said:

Sorry to hear about your situation. I'm in a similar administrative limbo, so I can relate. You can travel abroad without issues, so long as your trip is less than 6 months at a time and you maintain a residence here in the US. If you need to, book an infopass appointment and get a new stamp. On the other hand, relocating abroad before your oath of naturalization can harm your citizenship application.

Thank you so much for your reply! 

Well, about relocating my plan was not to inform the USCIS about that, redirect the mail to relatives address and just come back for the Oath Ceremony (if that will be scheduled after my leaving). Of course, in case of nothing within 6 months abroad, I'll have to return...do you think this is too much gamble with them?

On the other hand, I sincerely hope to clear the situation before the end of summer...don't they have only 120 days to make a decision after the N-400 interview?...

16 minutes ago, luna1321 said:

Thank you so much for your reply! 

Well, about relocating my plan was not to inform the USCIS about that, redirect the mail to relatives address and just come back for the Oath Ceremony (if that will be scheduled after my leaving). Of course, in case of nothing within 6 months abroad, I'll have to return...do you think this is too much gamble with them?

On the other hand, I sincerely hope to clear the situation before the end of summer...don't they have only 120 days to make a decision after the N-400 interview?...

I wish you speedy journey through the process, but they can take as long as they want to review your application, and until you take the oath, you are required to maintain continuous residence. The 120 days post-interview is just the time you can request a court to force them to make a decision, or to decide your application itself. You can understand how risky that action is. Whether or not you think you can avoid scrutiny after relocating overseas is up to you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.