Jump to content

Continuous Residence and travel

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts

It has been more than 5 years since I received my GC, but I was out of the US for 9 months during these years. I came back to the US 4 years ago and never left after that. I understand that my 9 months trip may break the continuous residency but would like to get information and advice especially from those who have been in similar situations.

When I left the US in my 9 months trip, I had already bought a house and kept it during my absence and my sons were living in it. I also had a driver's license, car, and bank account. The problem is that I was working abroad during these 9 months and put that in my tax return.

I would like to know if I have a good chance if I apply for naturalization now? or should I wait until I complete 5 years after my return? Also if I decide to apply and get denied, would that mean any possibility of removal? or just applying again. Please advice.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.