Jump to content

Urgent: New Filing Status

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)



My spouse and I are at the NVC stage. I'm claiming my parent as my dependent this year which qualifies me as a Head of Household, compared to Married Filing Separately for the years before. Is this change going to affect our NVC process negatively? My understanding is that IRS treats Head of Household unmarried, here are some information about my case:


1- We haven't lived together in a house most of the year (as she is not allowed in the country yet)

2- I can now claim my parent, since I pay all the expenses 


What worries me is change from Married filed separately under which for Social Security I would note as NRA (Non-Resident Alien), but now the tax files generated don't even show that I'm married. What's the best course of action in this particular case?



Edited by Gamboli

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.