udlike2no2

ssn info and what to do after entry

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi all,

The more I read on these forums I am learning some really good things and want to thank you all. I see that information on the SSN and just had a question on the info. Fist is there a place I can go or a helpful explanation on the best things to do from time of my fiancée K-1 visa entry in to the USA. She is also bringing a 15 yr old son and can I get him the SSN right away also. It would be great if there is a step by step way of doing things after entry, maybe there is if someone can post me where to look

Thank you all and to all good luck, waiting for loved ones is the hardest part.

Hi,

Have you only recently mailed your I-129F petition? You might want to go in and change your forum profile, as it says you have filed for AOS - that's something you won't do until after your fiance arrives in the US and you get married!

Anyway... it's good to read up on these things in advance, so that nothing comes as a surprise to you and you feel prepared. The guides on here ( link to the VJ guides page) contain step-by-step info on the whole K1 process, as well as adjustment of status, and also how to get a SSN. Your fiancee will be able to apply for an SSN soon after she arrives - again, if you look in the guides there is a link to the form she will need to fill in, as well as some useful guidelines that she can print out and take with her to the social security office just in case she runs into a member of staff who doesn't know K1s are eligible for an SSN. Anyway, she'll need to take the completed form, along with her passport & visa & I-94 to a local social security office, and she should be able to apply without any problems - just wait about two weeks from her arrival before doing this so that her details will be in the system. I went when I'd only been here a week, and they couldn't verify me on the system... I told them I'd try again, and when I went back a week later I had no problems - my card arrived in the mail a few days after that.

As for your fiancee's son and whether he can get an SSN... I'd be inclined to say yes, but as I don't know about that for sure, I won't - I'm sure someone else will be able to answer that one for you, though! :)

Hi all,

The more I read on these forums I am learning some really good things and want to thank you all. I see that information on the SSN and just had a question on the info. Fist is there a place I can go or a helpful explanation on the best things to do from time of my fiancée K-1 visa entry in to the USA. She is also bringing a 15 yr old son and can I get him the SSN right away also. It would be great if there is a step by step way of doing things after entry, maybe there is if someone can post me where to look

Thank you all and to all good luck, waiting for loved ones is the hardest part.

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.