Huong Nguyen

I864 & I864A joint sponsor question!

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

I have a question regarding to I-864 and I864A. I'm (F1 student) married to USC husband. I husband need a joint sponsor due to not meeting the requirement. And my father-in-law is the joint sponsor. So, he needs to file the I-864, but my question is if my father-in-law files tax jointly with my mother-in-law, does she need to file another I-864 or just need I-864A? And does she need to submit W-2 as well?

Thank you!

44 minutes ago, Huong Nguyen said:

So, he needs to file the I-864, but my question is if my father-in-law files tax jointly with my mother-in-law, does she need to file another I-864 or just need I-864A?

I-864A

45 minutes ago, Huong Nguyen said:

And does she need to submit W-2 as well?

Yes, W-2 and 1040 (should be the same one as the father's because they filed jointly, right?)  and/or tax transcript. 

1 hour ago, USS_Voyager said:

I-864A

Yes, W-2 and 1040 (should be the same one as the father's because they filed jointly, right?)  and/or tax transcript. 

Silly question, so do I only need 1 W-2 from my father? And is my mother's tax transcript the same as my father tax transcript (flied together)? Thank you so much!!

26 minutes ago, Huong Nguyen said:

Silly question, so do I only need 1 W-2 from my father? And is my mother's tax transcript the same as my father tax transcript (flied together)? Thank you so much!!

I would just send them the W-2 from your mother as well if you have it. It's just such a small thing to have to worry about an RFE

Just now, Huong Nguyen said:

You're right. I'll send them everything just in case. Thank you :)

Yes, just send it to them. These kind of things, my philosophy is "always do more than less", especially if it's just a piece of documents. Anything that is not in English, I got it translated to English, you know. Just minimize the chance they can give you an RFE and delay your case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.