Jump to content

Social Security & Kids status after citizenship

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts

Well we know after taking the oath and receiving the certificate of naturalization, our kids of under 18 who have lived with us on legal permanent residents status,  also become citizens automatically as a result. 


I was planing to go to Social security office to update our status , but noticed we have nothing to show as a proof of citizenship for the kids! ( we have NOT applied for the passport or N600 yet) and i was under the impression that just having our certificate of naturalizations would be enough to prove our children's citizenship to them, assuming they are aware of the law and since they already have all the family info in their system, there should be no need to even prove the relationship.  So to be on the safe side i called the social security call center and waited for their call back. The representative who called seemed not to be aware of the law and she could not say much! so just suggested we take our certificate of naturalization along with kids green cards to the office and they should be able to update it, but still she was not so sure!


I would appreciate if anyone who had a situation like us, to share their experience. Thank you!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...