kins

What should I buy in the UK?

102 posts in this topic

The DFW area has an Ikea in Frisco, but Ikea is such cheap #######! :unsure: I ought to know...most of our furniture is from there. We're on our second Klippan sofa...that thing is a piece of sh!t.

I know what you mean about IKEA stuff, however their duvet covers are fine and their linens in general. Also about 1/4 of the price of what you pay for a duvet cover in places like Target, where a sheet costs $10, but sew 2 sheets together and its suddenly $90.

They dont really have much choice though unless you like flowers or circle!!

I apologise to the OP that this is only very loosely related to your question, but does anyone know the equivalent for Full/Queen/King to Double/Queen (do we even have Queen beds in the UK?)/King - if for example I have a US Queen Bed and want to get some UK fitted sheets for it? I also have a UK King Duvet - same question in reverse.

If anyone can help me I'd be really grateful.

And thanks very much Mr or Ms Mint Aero a few posts back.. now I have a craving! :)

Check out the Ikea website they have sizes on there

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy some decent bras! If you're a woman that is. Bigger sized bras are a buggar to find over here! :lol:

I noticed that....British women seem to have really large breasts in relation to American women, even accounting for higher rates of obesity in the USA. I'm the same bra size here as in the USA, but shops here sell G cups and bigger! The largest cup size I ever saw in a store that caters for women of average size is DD. Where DO G cup women buy bras in the USA? :blink:

I dont have a problem either in the UK or the US with bras. I was certainly not at the front of the queue when they handed out boobs...lol

:no:

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
I dont have a problem either in the UK or the US with bras. I was certainly not at the front of the queue when they handed out boobs...lol

:no:

No bother, my hubby says anything more than a handful is a waste :P But I feel your pain! lol

On the other hand, we won't have back problem when we get old ;)

-----

Here's some information I found:

source: http://www.homespacedirect.com/acatalog/Bedding_Guide.html

Bedding Size Chart

Size Chart

UK bedding size chart

Below is a size chart for UK bedding. Please note, manufacturers and listing will quote approximate sizes, so the actual size can be + or - 5 cm of the sizes below.

Super King Size bedding - Size Chart

Duvets/Quilts - 260 cm x 220 cm

Duvet covers - 260 cm x 220 cm

Flat sheets - 305 cm x 280 cm

Fitted sheets - 200 cm x 185 cm

Click here to see our full range of bedding.

King Size bedding - Size Chart

Duvets/Quilts - 225 cm x 220 cm

Duvet covers - 225 cm x 220 cm

Flat sheets - 274 cm x 264 cm

Fitted sheets - 150 cm x 200 cm

Double bed bedding - Size Chart

Duvets/Quilts - 200 cm x 200 cm

Duvet covers - 200 cm x 200 cm

Flat sheets - 229 cm x 259 cm

Fitted sheets - 137 cm x 190 cm

Single bed bedding - Size Chart

Duvets/Quilts - 135 cm x 200 cm

Duvet covers - 135 cm x 200 cm

Flat sheets - 180 cm x 260 cm

Fitted sheets - 90 cm x 185 cm

I-130 Filed - Sept. 15, 2006

129-F Filed - Oct. 27, 2006

I-130/129F Approved - Jan. 10, 2007

K3/K4 Visas Approved - May 4, 2007

~~~~Hubby and Son PoE Newark - May 27, 2007~~~~

EAD filed for Hubby - June 6, 2007

EAD NOA for Hubby - June 13, 2007

AoS filed for Hubby and Son - June 15, 2007

EAD for Hubby APPROVED! WOW!!!!!! - July 19, 2007

AoS Interview for Hubby and Son in Philadelphia - Friday, September 14, 2007 - APPROVED!

10 Year Green Cards Received!!!! - October 12, 2007

Done until naturalization!

m_7dc3c15c2e1d0eafb3d8770777862202.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I apologise to the OP that this is only very loosely related to your question, but does anyone know the equivalent for Full/Queen/King to Double/Queen (do we even have Queen beds in the UK?)/King - if for example I have a US Queen Bed and want to get some UK fitted sheets for it? I also have a UK King Duvet - same question in reverse.

If anyone can help me I'd be really grateful.

And thanks very much Mr or Ms Mint Aero a few posts back.. now I have a craving! :)

There really is not. US beds are far bigger then European beds. (yes yes insert your fat joke here, I can take it :P )

I brough twin sheets to the UK when I went to Uni. I was even tucking the fitted sheet in. Honestly I think your better buying that here.

Things I wish I'd stocked up on more before leaving UK

M&S underwear (as well as the quality you have to get your feet and confidence before you start asking the questions you may require to get what you want - or is this just cos I'm older)

High % cotton socks and especially ankle socks (I've always been a fan of silly socks and they are a) very hard to find here in high cotton content and b ) no funny socks) ankle socks the standard ones in UK are hard to find here as they are either knee high or the hidden trainer ones.

I brought a duvet but wish I'd found a really really low tog summer weight one.

Foodwise almost everything is available online but I haven't found "mixed herbs" anywhere (still using ones I sent over from Eng)

If you bake bring a UK baking tin for things like mince pies here they are all muffin depth (twice as deep)

If you are bringing UK recipes bring a set of UK measuring spoons everything here is done by the cup and it isnt the same as a UK cup

If you want to make an old fashioned UK steamed pudding bring a pudding basin as impossible to find one with a lip here (this either makes sense or doesn't lol)

LifeacrossthePond

Removing Conditions (here we go again)

July 27th I-751 sent to Nebraska

July 30th USPS delivered

Aug 22nd check cashed

Aug 23rd I797C received - case been transferred to California

Aug 29th Biometrics Appt Letter arrived

Sept 12th Biometrics Appt Pittsburgh

Sept 24th email notice of Approval - card ordered !!!!!!

Wow, I have never seen that! Where on earth (well actually where in the UK) do I get one??? I NEED!

I would say if you have one specific hair product you use, bring that. Paul only uses this one brand of gel. We carry the brand in the US, but not the right kind of gel.

This is the start of my non food list for when I go home (UK) in Sept.

Hand Towels (the hand towels here are more like guest towel size)

Tea Towels (again the ones here are tiny)

Dish cloths (here they are pretty expensive for what you use them for I love the ones back home which are like 3 for 50p...lol)

Duvet Covers (hard to find here and expensive when you do find them).

Cushion covers (i like to be able to take mine off and wash them. The one's you buy here usually are not removable).

Maybe I should get myself a little business going here..........English Linens!! :whistle:

So funny that you mention that cos he's bringing our t-shirt fabric duvet covers here. I can't find them anywhere in the US...you usually have to just buy the whole tshirt fabric comforter!

We're using them as a liner for everything in the suitcase

Edited by msu17

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Filed: Timeline
Things I wish I'd stocked up on more before leaving UK

M&S underwear (as well as the quality you have to get your feet and confidence before you start asking the questions you may require to get what you want - or is this just cos I'm older)

Excellent point; underwear is sized differently for women in the US. :thumbs:

High % cotton socks and especially ankle socks (I've always been a fan of silly socks and they are a) very hard to find here in high cotton content and b ) no funny socks) ankle socks the standard ones in UK are hard to find here as they are either knee high or the hidden trainer ones.

Are you a guy? I never had trouble finding ankle socks in the US; maybe they only make them for women?

I brought a duvet but wish I'd found a really really low tog summer weight one.

Foodwise almost everything is available online but I haven't found "mixed herbs" anywhere (still using ones I sent over from Eng)

You could find out what's in it and sort of mixed up dried ones on your own, though...right?

If you bake bring a UK baking tin for things like mince pies here they are all muffin depth (twice as deep)

Good idea; I hadn't thought about that. :thumbs:

If you are bringing UK recipes bring a set of UK measuring spoons everything here is done by the cup and it isnt the same as a UK cup

If you want to make an old fashioned UK steamed pudding bring a pudding basin as impossible to find one with a lip here (this either makes sense or doesn't lol)

Holy #######, you're right! I didn't even realize the cups were different. It hasn't come up since all my UK cookbooks use metric measurements, not imperial. I brought American cooking cups and teaspoons over with me because I wasn't sure I'd be able to get them here, and most of my cookbooks are ones I bought in the States. :blink:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Paracetamol with codeine, as you can't get codeine over the counter in the US (or at least you couldn't when I left the States waaaaaay back in 1995). I'm stocking up already!!!

I'll reiterate the teabag point -- a good supply is an absolute must. American "tea" is utter garbage. Every time I go over to see my parents I bring the HUGEST box of PG Tips I can find, not only for myself but now that I have re-educated them in the ways of true tea they crave it too. :lol: Whatever you do, stay away from Lipton Tea over there -- it tastes like a**e. :dead:

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Paracetamol with codeine, as you can't get codeine over the counter in the US (or at least you couldn't when I left the States waaaaaay back in 1995). I'm stocking up already!!!

I'll reiterate the teabag point -- a good supply is an absolute must. American "tea" is utter garbage. Every time I go over to see my parents I bring the HUGEST box of PG Tips I can find, not only for myself but now that I have re-educated them in the ways of true tea they crave it too. :lol: Whatever you do, stay away from Lipton Tea over there -- it tastes like a**e. :dead:

No, codeine is still not an OTC drug here in the states. Still prescription required.

As for tea bags, I keep trying to tell Dawn that she NEEDS to bring the mahusive box of PG Tips with her, because our choices aren't exactly stellar!!

Tommy(South Carolina) and Dawny(UK)

- January 17, 2007 - Sent I-129F

- January 23, 2007 - I-129F Received at TSC

- January 30, 2007 - NOA1 Sent!

- February 1, 2007 - Touched!

- February 2, 2007 - Check Cashed by CSC!

- February 5, 2007 - NOA1 Received(Hard Copy)!

- April 27, 2007 - NOA2 Received!!!

- April 28, 2007 - Touched!

- May 11, 2007 - NVC Received Case

- May 15, 2007 - NVC Forwarded Case to London Embassy

- May 29, 2007 - Received Packet 3

- June 7, 2007 - Dawn sent Packet 3 back!

- June 26, 2007 - Officially in the Embassy system

- July 11, 2007 - Received Packet 4

- August 16, 2007 - Interview Date!!

They sell various brands of hot tea in the USA, some of which are also sold in the UK (like Twinings). Liptons is no good for hot tea; it's an iced tea brew. Hot tea brews are no good for iced tea and vice versa. :thumbs:

We bought a giant box of PG Tips to get the free monkey, but I prefer Twinings. :blush:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

No, codeine is still not an OTC drug here in the states. Still prescription required.

For paracetamol and codine, the simple rule is that if the Queen is on the money, you can buy it over the counter, otherwise you can't. The only exception is Ireland.

As for tea bags, I keep trying to tell Dawn that she NEEDS to bring the mahusive box of PG Tips with her, because our choices aren't exactly stellar!!

Agreed. I've managed to live in the USA for 8 years on 2-3 cups of tea a day and have never bought tea bags in the USA. Thank god for PG Tips 240 boxes. They're the one thing I always get friends/collegues to bring me if they're coming over from the UK.

That said, my local supermarket does actually sell PG Tips, and they are available in most UK import shops.

(yes yes insert your fat joke here, I can take it :P )

Faaaaaaaat!

Purchase a healthy stock of real Irn Bru.

Definitely!

Just one sensible thought though people - you might want to be careful carrying UK over-the-counter painkillers to the US. I'm sure there must be some kind of restrictions on bringing in stuff when it is prescription only in the US.

1186153754421.jpg

...yeah, I wish!

Timeline:

December 06 - Filed I129F petition with California Service Center

March 07 - Received petition approval notice

April 07 - Applied for Police Certificate through West Midlands police

24 April 07 - Received Packet 3 from London Embassy

1 May 07 - Received receipt for Police Certificate

5 May 07 - Mailed DS-230 Part I, DS-156, DS-156K and DS-157 back to the Embassy

9 May 07 - London Embassy receives forms

9 May 07 - Medical at Bentinck Mansions

1 June 07 - Mailed document checklist

8 June 07 - Received Police Certificate (39 days from receipt)

15 June 07 - Touched by the Embassy

21 June 07 - Interview date confirmed as 10 August 07

22 June 07 - Received Packet 4

10 August 07 - Interview at London Embassy - APPROVED!

...wedding date is 3 September 07!

(yes yes insert your fat joke here, I can take it :P )

Faaaaaaaat!

Purchase a healthy stock of real Irn Bru.

Definitely!

Just one sensible thought though people - you might want to be careful carrying UK over-the-counter painkillers to the US. I'm sure there must be some kind of restrictions on bringing in stuff when it is prescription only in the US.

You'd think, but I have managed to bring over 10 boxes at one go for family members. (No, I'm not from a family of junkies! :P ) I figure that 10 boxes of 32 split between us both will last me up to the expiration date, or else I need to get me to a hospital!

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Wow, I have never seen that! Where on earth (well actually where in the UK) do I get one??? I NEED!

I would say if you have one specific hair product you use, bring that. Paul only uses this one brand of gel. We carry the brand in the US, but not the right kind of gel.

This is the start of my non food list for when I go home (UK) in Sept.

Hand Towels (the hand towels here are more like guest towel size)

Tea Towels (again the ones here are tiny)

Dish cloths (here they are pretty expensive for what you use them for I love the ones back home which are like 3 for 50p...lol)

Duvet Covers (hard to find here and expensive when you do find them).

Cushion covers (i like to be able to take mine off and wash them. The one's you buy here usually are not removable).

Maybe I should get myself a little business going here..........English Linens!! :whistle:

So funny that you mention that cos he's bringing our t-shirt fabric duvet covers here. I can't find them anywhere in the US...you usually have to just buy the whole tshirt fabric comforter!

We're using them as a liner for everything in the suitcase

Oh geez, I can't remember where we picked it up...prolly Ikea or some other standard no frills place....it was no place fancy, I do know that. could have even been M&S or Tesco

The difference between king sized in the US/UK is vastly different, but these tshirt duvet covers look HUGE. And so we measured them, and they will work.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.