Ab28

F1 Visa: Administrative Processing for the last 7 months

5 posts in this topic

Hi, 

I was in USA from 2011 to 2016 as Fulbright PhD Scholar on J-1 Visa. However, due to my health issues I couldn’t complete my PhD in that time. I was asked by my sponsor, Fulbright, to go back to my home country for the remaining of my PhD research and come back to the US once my dissertation defense was ready. So, I came back to Pakistan in mid-2016. 

In December 2017, I was interviewed for F-1 visa at US Consulate Karachi on my official passport of Govt of Pakistan as I was ( and still am) an employee of federal govt of Pakistan. The Counciler officer told me that there was no issue with my visa application. He, however, said that since I was an official of government of Pakistan, so he couldn’t issue me visa on the spot because he had to reciprocate the delay that the US govt officials were facing in getting Pakistani visa from Pakistani Embassy in Washington DC. So, he placed me in administrative processing. 

In May 2018, my govt department announced a new policy for its employees going for higher studies abroad. According to that, only those employees were entitled to travel on official passport who were funded by our govt. Since, my trip to USA was sponsored by my US University ( in the form of TA-ship), so I was asked by my department to apply afresh for US visa on regular ( private ) Passport. 

Consequently, in May 2018, I withdrew my visa application ( that I had submitted in December 2017) from US consulate Karachi ( Consulate had made no decision on my case till that time ), and applied ( interviewed) afresh for F-1 visa in June 2018 but this time using my regular ( private) Passport.

However, the Counciler Officer again placed me in administrative processing which is still ongoing despite passing 7 months. I am very depressed as my whole future depends on my successful defense of my PhD dissertation for which I must appear in-person in my University.

I have an excellent job in Pakistan and none of my  family member or immediate relative lives in US. So, I have strong ties with my home country.

Will I be issued F-1 visa? What should I do now?  US Consulate gives only one answer that my case is undergoing through administrative processing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Korea DPR
Timeline
30 minutes ago, Ab28 said:

Will I be issued F-1 visa? What should I do now?  US Consulate gives only one answer that my case is undergoing through administrative processing.

Unfortunately nobody can give you a definite answer. Being from Pakistan is generally not a positive in USA immigration. Administrative processing has no defined duration.

i wish you the best and hope you find a positive resolution soon. I feel your pain. 

I am not in this world to live up to your expectations,

Neither are you here to live up to mine.

I don't owe no one no obligation 
So everything is fine, fine

I said, I am that I am I am, I am, I am

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.