teebs

B2 Tourist Visa - Travel Companion and Funding

2 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could give some guidance on a couple of questions for my B2 tourist visa application.  I'll be travelling to the US with my boyfriend next year for a roadtrip (assuming I get the visa).

Travel companion

My boyfriend has an ESTA eligible passport, so he doesn't need a visa.  I assume that In the travel companion section, I should still enter his details.  Should I list him as 'friend' or 'other' (we live together but are not married or engaged).  Does he need to come to the interview too if he's listed as accompanying me?  He can do it if he has to, but would obviously rather not take the time off work if it's not necessary.

Funding

We'll be splitting the cost of thr trip, but he earns more than I do, so he'll be paying a bigger share of it.  Am I right in thinking I should put 'self' for who is funding the trip as I'll be paying my share of it?  Would it be helpful to have a letter from him ready for the interview confirming that we'll be splitting the costs?

Thanks in advance!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes you should list your BF as your traveling companion.   List him as a friend if asked admit that he is your boyfriend.   Rather you get the visa or not will depend on rather you have compelling reason to return to your country of residence or home country.  That is what you want to bring.  Yes you are self funding your trip if you are paying your 'fair share'..   You need to consider what would make you more likely in the eyes of the office interviewing you to leave the USA at the end of your 'roadtrip'.    Your boyfriend not being a US Citizen probably helps some as you'd want to go back with him so to some extent the office may be interested in his ties.  But you should have a job perhaps a letter from your boss that you're expected to return after a vacation leave,  A house, car, car loans, name on the lease with where you and your BF live perhaps all are good things.   Likely even if you bring those things they likely won't be looked at or asked for .   Your interview will be based on rather the Office believes your intent to LEAVE the USA not why you want to go or really how you'll pay for it.   Your chances will depend on the strength of your ties to your home (or resident country) and to a lessor extent on the passport of your country and the country you will be interviewing in / living in.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.