Jump to content

Certified Criminal Record from Mexico

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Link: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Mexico.html



Police Certificates


Fees:  The fees vary by state.

Document Name:  Carta or Certificado de No Antecedentes Penales

Issuing Authority: State Police (Fiscalía General del Estado)

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: The seals, colors and format vary by state.

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:   The issuing authority title varies by state.

Registration Criteria:  The registration criteria vary by state.

Procedure for Obtaining: Contact the individual State Police for instructions.

Certified Copies Available:  Certified copies are not available.

Alternate Documents: If the state police record is unavailable, visa applicants must provide a federal record called a “Carta de No Antecedentes Penales” from the Dirección General de Ejecución de Sanciones, Comisión Nacional de Seguridad. To make the request, applicants must provide the following documentation:

For Mexican Nationals:

  • Mexican Voter ID Card from the Instituto Federal Electoral (original and a copy)
  • Birth Certificate (original and a copy)
  • Proof of residence in Mexico (original and a copy)

For Foreign Nationals:

  • FM2, now called the “tarjeta migratoria”, or passport (original and a copy)
  • Birth certificate translated into Spanish (original and a copy)
  • Proof of residence in Mexico (original and a copy)

If the applicant is not able to make the request in person, a family member can do so in the applicant’s name by taking a power of attorney signed by the interested party to: 

Dirección General de Ejecución de Sanciones, Comisión Nacional de Seguridad

Calzada de Tlalpan No. 2962

Col. Espartaco, Deleg. Coyoacan, C.P. 04870

Mexico City, Mexico

The office is open from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.  For inquiries about the process, applicants may call the institution at:  011-52-55-5128-4100 and 011-52-55-5599-2000, exts. 18992, 18993, 18994 y 18733.  

Exceptions:  None

Comments: Versions of the police certificates vary from state to state. Police certificates from the local town halls or cities are unacceptable. In Mexico police certificates are only available for applicants 18 and over.  A police certificate from every state in Mexico is generally not required for an IV application. A single police certificate is sufficient.  Only when an IV applicant has lived in Mexico for six months or more and after the age of 18 is a police certificate required. 

However, consular officers may request a state police certificate where an individual was resident for more than six (months) on a case by cases basis. 


Court Records


Fees:  The fees for this document vary by state.

Document Name:  Certified copy of the trial

Issuing Authority: Court which presided over their trial.

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format:  Mexican court of arms on each page, usually with a wet stamp in purple or blue ink to demonstrate that it is an original, not a photocopy, printed on legal size paper, and pages are numbered and signed by the court certifier.

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:  Judge who presided over the trial.

Registration Criteria:  The Court keeps copies of all documents used during proceedings.  Once the case is closed the file is stored at the main archive of that court.

Procedure for Obtaining: Applicants or their legal representative must contact the court which presided over their trial.

Certified Copies Available:  Certified copies are available. The cost is usually calculated by the number of pages in the file.

Alternate Documents: There are no alternate documents.

Exceptions: None

Comments:  None


Prison Records


Fees:  The fees for this document vary by state.

Document Name:  Carta de Liberación (certificate of time served) or Constancia de Salida (certificate of time served).

Issuing Authority: Prison where the sentence was served.

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: Certificates of time served are usually typed on stationary bearing a faint round seal containing the Mexican coat of arms. The certificate will also bear a rubber stamp seal which includes the coat of arms, date of issue, and issuing entity.

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:  The issuing authority title varies by prison.

Registration Criteria:  Court decree that indicates time to be served in prison.

Procedure for Obtaining:  The procedures for obtaining vary by state.

Certified Copies Available:  Certified copies vary by prison.

Alternate Documents:  Yes, court documents from legal proceedings may be presented instead of prison records.  Court documents include the full legal proceedings, in addition to the prison sentence.  Please see the “Court Records” section for more additional information.

Exceptions: None

Comments: None

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.