johnebertus

What to mark on I-485 under request for SSN?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

We applied for my wife's SSN prior to submitting our AOS paperwork. One of the questions in the I-485 is:"Has the Social Security Administration (SSA) ever officially issued a Social Security card to you?"

Technically they haven't. but we're waiting for it to be issued. Should we mark it "yes" under the assumption that it will be issued prior to our AOS being approved, or "no" as it hasn't been issued yet. The lady at the Social Security office said she couldn't issue it when we were there, because there was something that didn't match in the system (she thought the AOS had to be submitted to allow it to be issued). We got a form stating it would be issued within 4 weeks pending the verification of documents showing her immigration status. She needs a Social Security number to stay on my insurance, and I need to provide it within 90 days of her being put on it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am in a similar situation and one of the guys here advised me to fill in 13.a.Yes, 13.b.N/A and then on Page 7 ''Additional Information'' elaborate more on the situation - I have applied for the SSN but have not received it yet as of the time for filing for AOS.

Hope that helps.

Honestly i dont think it matters that you check no and technically a SSN hasn't been issued to you. No matter what happens you will be issued the same SSN number. The worst that could happen is you end up with 2 Physical Copy of the same SSN card. It will never be a different number  

05/24 PD
06/18/18 Bio apt
06/26/18 Fingerprint review was completed
09/27/18 RFE for I-864
11/04/18 Sent response to RFE
11/06/18 RFE response was received
11/07/18 Courtesy letter for I-693
11/19/18 Case is ready to be scheduled for interveiw
11/20/18 Interview was scheduled

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Thanks for the input. I'm using a service to compile everything and file it for me, but I think I'm stumping them with all of my questions. I'm glad this forum is here for all of us going through this!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.