inlovewithalucian

Replacement Ead category

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline

My work permit was lost in transit and we have to file for a new one. While I do have a pending i485 it is a different category code from our original c9 code for replacement. I can't figure out the code, can anyone help? 

Edited by inlovewithalucian

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
15 minutes ago, inlovewithalucian said:

My work permit was lost in transit and we have to file for a new one. While I do have a pending i485 it is a different category code from our original c9 code for replacement. I can't figure out the code, can anyone help? 

Same code: (c)(9) Whether or not you already have Advance Parole, I still recommend filing I-131 together with the I-765. Also, the EAD/AP combo card is free; https://www.uscis.gov/news/questions-and-answers/uscis-issue-employment-authorization-and-advance-parole-card-adjustment-status-applicants-questions-and-answers:

Q5. How much does this card cost?

A5. If you submitted an application for adjustment of status on or after July 30, 2007 (or on or after August 18, 2007, for employment-based cases), you will pay only one fee to file Form I-485, Form I-765 and Form I-131. The fee for Form I-485 is <outdated cost>, and there is no separate fee for Forms I-765 and I-131 associated with a Form I-485. For those cases that were filed under the old fee structure, the costs for this card will equal the combined costs of filing Forms I-131 and I-765, which is a total of <outdated cost>. Visit www.uscis.gov/fees for more information.

Edited by TM92

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Timeline

Hmm, when I called uscis they said since the card is now being applied for as a replacement there is a fee regardless of pending status adjustment. I was wondering if I should file the 131 along with it again just as a reminder that we need the endorsememt on the new ead.

This is our first major bump in the road and I have so much conflicting info it's making my brain hurt lol

Timeline
39 minutes ago, inlovewithalucian said:

Hmm, when I called uscis

Did you only try calling USCIS? That number is colloquially know as the misinformation line. Did you try submitting an e-Request ("Did not receive card by mail") or contacting the USCIS Ombudsman (and relay to them the misinformation you were provided; AOS applicants do not need to pay for EADs)?

Edited by TM92

Timeline

So far I'm pretty unfamiliar with what to do after a hurdle as I haven't hit one yet. I haven't heard of it as a misinformation line, that's pretty great though, she certainly was less than thrilled to be speaking to me. I'm going to look into the methods you provided.

Thanks so much I really had no idea what steps to take next. 

Timeline
6 hours ago, inlovewithalucian said:

I haven't heard of it as a misinformation line, that's pretty great though, she certainly was less than thrilled to be speaking to me.

Yeah, she gave bad information. It's even on page 24 of the I-765 instructions; https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-765instr.pdf?download=1:

Replacement for Lost, Stolen, or Damaged EAD. If you are requesting a replacement EAD because your previously issued card was lost, stolen, or damaged, but has not expired, you must pay the filing fee unless you have filed for adjustment of status on or after July 30, 2007 and paid the Form I-485 filing fee. If you did not pay the Form I-485 filing fee because your filing fee was waived or you are exempt from paying it, you must pay the Form I-765 filing fee or request that the filing fee be waived. See Form I-912 at www.uscis.gov/i-912.

So your choice. You can try the methods I mentioned earlier (chances are USCIS will contact USPS and try to locate the card; IDK if they'll automatically re-issue one if they can't find it) OR you can submit new I-765* and I-131 forms for free based on the I-765 instructions.

*For Part 1, choose 1.b. They don't consider USPS error as their error. But the instructions are clear, it does not matter who lost the card it's still free for AOS applicants who already paid the I-485 fee.

Edited by TM92

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.