jlc1125

AOS: Job applications vs. offer in father's company?

1 post in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I'm a U.S. citizen living in France with my French husband. Our I-130 was approved in October, and I'm gathering the documents we'll submit to the NVC in a few weeks.

After we move to the U.S. I plan to work in my father's furniture store while simultaneously searching for a job in my field (project management). My father will be our co-sponsor for the AOS to make sure there are no issues with the income requirement.

However, for the domicile requirement I'm hesitating between two ideas to show that I've taken steps toward U.S. employment:
Option 1: Show proof that I've already started applying to project management jobs (resumé, applications, emails with recruiters)

Option 2: Show the formal job offer from my father's store

I imagine that a job offer would go futher than applications, but will it matter that it's my father's business? Have any of you listed employment in a family business in your applications?

Here are other supporting documents I plan to give for reestablishing domicile:

• U.S. driver's license and voter registration
  • Recently closed U.S. bank account and new joint U.S. account with my husband
  • Receipts from money transfers from France to the above bank account
  • Car title and insurance quote
  • Letter from dad promising housing when we move
  • Emails with realtor regarding permanent housing
  • New U.S. cell phone contract
  • Quote from movers
  • Proof of personal ties to the U.S.: plane tickets, photos, invoices from our U.S. wedding

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.