Jump to content

Prior Immigrant sponsorship on I-864

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts

I'm applying for CR-1 for my wife of 2+ years, so far the process is going smoothly but -- of course -- slowly.


Just got notice of Case Creation from NVC, and I'll start the Affidavit of Support as soon as they correct the spelling of my wife's name (!!!!!!!). (I'm reluctant to proceed, even by paying fees, until this is corrected; the spelling error is NVC's error, as it was forwarded correctly by USCIS to them. I don't want to take the chance of a misspelling invalidating the visa.)


I assume the online Affidavit of Support is the same as an I-864 -- I have that blank form to prepare for submission.


My question: Part 5, Question 6 of I-864 asks:

   If you have sponsored any other persons on Form I-864 who are now lawful permanent residents, enter the number here.


I sponsored a different immigrant (my ex-wife) more than 20 years ago. She earned more than 40 SSA credits during our marriage -- which I know is one of the conditions for "terminating" the sponsorship obligation. I assume I should answer that question (Part 5, Q 6) affirmatively (enter "1"), then add comments in Part 11 (Additional Comments) explaining the situation that my obligation has ended? Or should I enter "0" and explain in Additional Comments? Or something else....?? Should I include any proof or documents? Maybe her SSN?


(I realize that divorce doesn't end the support obligation, but it does end if the immigrant earns more than 40 SSA credits and remains a permanent resident. My ex-wife never received any public assistance, that isn't in question. She earned more than 40 credits long before we were divorced, and -- as far as I know -- remains in the US as a lawful permanent resident. I have some basic records of those years, such as her SSN, but I didn't save copies of the immigration forms. <<<-- Lesson learned!)


I appreciate your insights. I'm new in VisaJourney, in only one day I've discovered it's a wealth of information.


 -- Mark



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.