EldestElderSon

Proof of name change question

2 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Yet another question. 

When my wife and I got married, her name was automatically changed to my last name by the Marriage Registration Office, which is apart of the Ministry of Population Management here in Turkey. She was angry about this and had the ministry change her name to a combination of both of our names on the same day. It was not a big deal to do.

Fast forward to us applying for her green card. Its a big deal now because her last name does not match the last name stated on the marriage certificate! The I-130 instructions state: 

"If either you or the person you are filing for is using a name that is not the same name shown on the relevant documents, you must file your petition with copies of the legal documents reflecting the name change, such as a marriage certificate, adoption decree, or court order."

"What if an official document is not available?

In this situation, submit a statement from the appropriate civil authority certifying that the document or documents are not available. You must also submit secondary evidence, which may include one or more of the following records listed below. A. Religious record: A copy of a document bearing the seal of the religious organization showing that the baptism, dedication, or comparable rite occurred within two months after birth, and showing the date and place of the child’s birth, date of the religious ceremony, and the names of the child’s parents. B. School record: A letter from the authority (preferably the first school attended) showing the date of admission to the school, the child’s date of birth or age at that time, place of birth, and names of the parents. Form I-130 Instructions 02/27/17 N Page 9 of 12 C. Census record: State or Federal census records showing the names, place of birth, date of birth, or the age of the person listed. D. If records like those described above are not available, then you may submit two or more written statements from individuals who were living at the time and who have personal knowledge of the event you are trying to prove, such as the date and place of birth, marriage, or death. The individuals making the written statements do not have to be U.S. citizens. Each written statement must contain the following information regarding the individual making the written statement: his or her full name, address, date and place of birth, full information concerning the event, and complete details explaining how the individual acquired personal knowledge of the event. Finally, each individual’s written statement must include the following declaration, “I declare (or certify, verify, or state) under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the foregoing is true and correct. Executed on [date], [signature].”"

So, we got a signed, certified 'Extract of Civil Registry' from the regional bureau of the Ministry of Population Management stating that my wife's maiden name was her original name, when she married an U.S citizen (me), her name changed to my last name as seen on the marriage certificate, and that she subsequently changed her last name on that same date to the combination of both of our names. The document has her registry information, ID number, my name as her husband and current residency. I've attached a photocopy of her current national ID card to the back.

My question is: Does this count as a "legal document reflecting the name change"? This is the best thing we could find. But it is not a marriage certificate, adoption decree, or court order. Yet, it is an official, signed, stamped document from the very ministry that takes cares of these issues. 

Will this suffice? 🤔

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.