ediali09

Working remotely as a freelance journalist

1 post in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hi all!

I am an online journalist. So far, I have received two offers from Singapore-based companies to work remotely in the US. I understand that this is a bit of a grey area. Both companies are registered in Singapore and do not have affiliates in the States. I'll be writing about Asian businesses, not American ones. All funds will be paid out in Singaporean dollars to my Singaporean bank account. I can and will pay taxes in Singapore and the US (if needed).

Questions:

1. I read on another VJ thread that journalists will need a special visa. I am entering the US on a K1 visa. I will not be reporting on anything to do with America. Is this still possible? 

2. Has anyone been denied because of their remote work arrangement? Is this fundamentally a terrible idea? Or can it actually work out? (I am OK not working for either company until I have proper certs in place, but honestly, we could use the extra money as well as me not going crazy from not working for months. Since I'm being offered these positions (for the record, I'm being offered these positions without any initiating on my part), it makes sense to see what the odds are. 

3. I read that even if this is found to be illegal, as an immediate relative of a USC, it will be forgiven. True? False?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance! 

~ 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.