Jump to content

Travel to China

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My wife is a permanent resident.  Her green card expires in January.  We have started the naturalization process.  Fingerprints are done and waiting for the next step.

We have a trip to China scheduled April 18th.  Will Homeland Security give a temp or do we need to apply for an extension or new residency card in order to travel?  China says the card must have 6 months to a year left before expiration in order to travel.

What is the time frame to get a new residency card?

What is the time frame for naturalization?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's difficult to say when your case might be processed without knowing when you applied, which office, etc.


The best answer is that one month from her green card expiration/extension letter expiring, she will need to go to USCIS to get an I-551 stamp. Those are typically valid for six months or one year. It is as the discretion of the officer. 


Cases vary - Pending I-751 since August 2016, N-400 from July 2017, and appointment for N-400 on October 11th. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.