Lasersupernova

Going to the US from a different country where the K1 visa was issued

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello, My fiance is in living in Thailand and doing the K1 process in Thailand. Depending on when she receives her visa, we may want to visit her home country, Philippines, en route to the U.S.

For example, she gets the visa in Thailand, we meet in the Philippines, then depart to the U.S. 

Will there be an issue if she leaves from the Phils to the US, if she received the visa from the US embassy in Thailand? 

Edited by Lasersupernova

No issues with doing that. The visa is for entering the US. It is not specific to where the immigrate departs from.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline

Thanks, I was thinking that may be the case.

8 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

No issues with doing that. The visa is for entering the US. It is not specific to where the immigrate departs from.

Timeline
20 hours ago, Jojo92122 said:

Doesn't the PI have its own requirements that a PI K-1 visa holder must meet in order to leave the country?  Wouldn't she have to comply with those requirements by trying to leave the PI with a K-1 visa?

Good point. The one I can think of is the seminar for abuse/trafficking. Plus, leaving the country is an ordeal in itself for Filipinos. I have friend who's fiance was a police woman in the Philippines. She wrote on the exit form that she is a police woman, and when asked for her approved leave form, they denied her outright when she couldn't produce them. She was coming to the U.S. on a K1. It took some connections and a lot of money to get her cleared. I've seen my fiance go through the ordeal of needing work letters and itineraries to leave the Phils. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.