Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Overstayed P1 Visa & Getting Married...

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone! I'm not sure where this should be posted but I have a few questions. I've been trying to read as much as I can!


My fiancé overstayed a P1 visa and has been in the US for 3 years. We have been together for over a year and are getting married in the next couple of months. Once we are married, do we just file the I-130 and I-485 and go from there? Just wasn’t sure if that changed based on the type of visa/the overstay.


Also for proving our relationship is bona fide… I’m a little confused. I’ve read a lot about financial co-mingling but how is this possible as he legally cannot open a bank account, sign a lease agreement, etc? What will be enough?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

He can open a bank account. But what you should do is open a bank account together. The only thing they need for a bank account is an ID; Bank of America makes it really easy for foreigners. 


He can sign a lease agreement. Again, they only request an ID, like a passport. 


Other people might have more ideas about other evidence you can submit.


The type of visa doesn't matter for your i-130, i-485.





Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The more reading I do, the more questions I have!

I have been in school for a year and still have a year to go. He has been financially supporting us but has always worked "under the table". So it will look as if we have no income? I understand as a sponsor I must meet a certain financial requirement which I do not currently have. Is this (along with his work status for the past 3 years) going to be a huge issue? I've read somewhere that working illegally is forgiven but application wise, does anyone have any idea how this will affect us?


Also, at what point is he able to apply for a SSN? After his status is adjusted?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.