Jump to content

Question on J-1

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi there! I am applying for a J-2 visa as a dependent with my spouse who has a J-1 and had a few questions. After the J1/J2 expires, what are the regulations around the two year Home country physical presence requirement? Is there flexibility in regards to where you live (as long as its outside the US) or must it be the J1’s last country of residency? Additionally, what are the chances of getting a waiver for this policy? Thanks so much in advance for all of your help!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

1. It is called "home" residency requirement because you have to reside in your home country. The only flexibilities I know of:


case A: You are living in country X at the time of application of the J1. Country X is not your country of origin but you have living in country X. You can go back to country X instead of your country of origin to serve the 2 years.


case B: After the J1 you left and lived in other places for a long time (I'm taking 10 years). Probably you won't be asked for evidence of 2 years served. Some people on VJ have mentioned that.


case C: After the J1 you do a PhD under an F1. You go for holidays to your country and add up 2 years in short spans of time.


2. You can possibly get a waiver of the reason of the requirement is based on the "skills list". But it depends on whether the embassy of your country gives out "no objection letters". Some countries do not give them out and you need them for the waiver. 


If you have a J2 you also have the 2 year residency requirement so you cannot get an H1B or green card, even if you divorce the J1 holder.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.