Mansini77

Didn't register with the Applicant Service Center...did I make a mistake?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Well, I thought we were in the clear for my wife's PR visa, but I'm writing one more time to the VJ community for support.

I'll make it short and sweet as possible.  Back in March 2018, we received an email from the NVC that they have scheduled a consulate interview for my wife in Juarez, Mexico.   My wife needed the medical examination and an appointment with the ASC to do biometrics (fingerprints, photos, etc).  My wife made both appointments by phone for two days before her consulate interview.  I thought that's all we needed and took the majority of the remaining time to prepare her paperwork for her interview.  

Over the phone, the operator for ASC asked my wife's name, Mexican passport number, date and time of the US Consulate interview, and a number off the DS-260 (i believe they needed the confirmation number, not the case number).  My wife provided all the details, good to go.  My wife went to both her medical and ASC appointments without a snag.  ASC took her fingerprints, photos and asked for my wife's email address.  ASC placed a sticker with some barcodes on the back of her passport and was finished.

The Consulate interview went as planned.  One officer asked for some paperwork, mostly original documents like her birth certificate and our marriage certificate and asked where our address is in the United States.  Second officer asked a few questions and was finished within five minutes.  Officer hands my wife the green paper for visa approval (GREAT!!  FANTASTIC NEWS!!).  My wife calls me to tell me the good news yesterday, but I'll keep the celebration off until we actually cross the border together and has her passport stamped.  After all, nothing is final until we receive her passport with her visa inside and we are inspected at the US border.  

My joy has been tempered a bit as I realized I never registered online with the Applicant Service Center.  A registered user can input appointments for the ASC and Consular and select the document delivery location.  Our plan was for my wife to pick up her visa at the ASC she visited late last week when it was ready, and from there I would then travel to Juarez, pick her up and cross back into the United States.  In a panic last night, i tried to register with my wife's information the ASC website as a new user.  Her name, country of origin, country passport number and the DS-260 confirmation code.  I wasn't able to register as the website blocked me at the DS-260 input line saying "This number has already been taken".  So, I'm basically blocked from making an account since the appointments have already taken place.  

In closing, did my wife by making her ASC appointment over the phone with an agent basically "register" herself with the ASC and having that office be the visa delivery point?  At the appointment, there wasn't any confusion or mishaps, just giving them some paperwork, fingerprints and photos, in and out, hello goodbye.  Or did I make a big mistake by not doing this online like I was supposed to and put my wife's visa/passport in some kind of gray limbo with no direction on where to go.  I asked my wife over the phone, "Did you tell the ASC and the US Consulate to send the visa to the ASC when it's ready?" a million times, and she said "They didn't ask".   Not the words of encouragement I was hoping for. 

Another VJ member who's been through Juarez a few months back whom I've had corresponds with, and my wife are pretty confident that I'll get the email saying "Pick up your stuff at the ASC so you can go home".  I'm confident as well, but don't want to leave anything to chance.   While my wife provided the ASC with our email address, I never received notification of any kind so far.  Usually, whenever you register your email address through some kind of service or online forum, you'll get an automated email saying "Welcome" followed by some general information.  

I could be stressing about nothing, but what's the last step in your spouse's visa without a little bit of confusion and chaos, right?  Any input is welcome, like "Hey Mansini, get some sleep...you're overthinking this, bro" or "Omg, what the hell where you thinking?  You have to start the immigration process all over again".  Yannow...typical one extreme to another type of stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

My friend just went in March and it took her 5 days to get the e-mail but because Thurs. and Friday was semana santa and they were closed, other wise she said it would have just taken like 2 or 3days. Good luck!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thank you, sylcar.  Hopefully we will receive the email tomorrow or at the latest Friday.  I don't know if the upcoming Cinco de Mayo holiday will impact things, but I'm pretty sure the ASC will be closed Saturday.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.