wowcheesestick

Complicated address issue, what is your take?

6 posts in this topic

So I am getting ready to file the whole package (I 130, I485, I131, I765, G-325A, i-865) very soon.

However, I do have a complicated address issue. please advice

1. I will be moving from California to New York. in about 2 weeks. Should I mail the package after I arrive in new york? If so, do I put my NY address as my mailing?

2. In new york, I might move again in 5 months. am I risking anything?

3. My address in california can be preserved and accessed. should I use my california address? I consulted with a company that does this type of service, they said I CANNOT use California address. The reason is because the interview will be scheduled geographically according to the address I provided. and If I go to the interview and tell them I now live in New York, they will reject my case. Is this true?

Given how unstable my living situation is, what is the best approach? (Job related, I do not get to choose..)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline
33 minutes ago, wowcheesestick said:

3. My address in california can be preserved and accessed. should I use my california address? I consulted with a company that does this type of service, they said I CANNOT use California address. The reason is because the interview will be scheduled geographically according to the address I provided. and If I go to the interview and tell them I now live in New York, they will reject my case. Is this true?

Not accurate. California is your permanent home and all others are temporary living situations. As long as somebody can always check your California mail then no issues here.  You will only encounter geographical limits on naturalization and not on green cards.

Edited by azblk

4 minutes ago, azblk said:

Not accurate. California is your permanent home and all others are temporary living situations. As long as somebody can always check your California mail then no issues here.  You will only encounter geographical limits on naturalization and not on green cards.

to further clarify,

I took a job in new york permanently and its just that I am keeping my california property.

I read it online if you tell the interviewer that you are working and living in new york, they will stop the interview and transfer your case to NY jurisdiction, which translates further delay processing. please advise

Timeline
13 minutes ago, wowcheesestick said:

to further clarify,

I took a job in new york permanently and its just that I am keeping my california property.

I read it online if you tell the interviewer that you are working and living in new york, they will stop the interview and transfer your case to NY jurisdiction, which translates further delay processing. please advise

Like I said earlier this inaccurate. I was in the exact situation you are in are in. When filed I lived in PHX, AZ. I subsequently took a job in Albany, NY but I decided to keep my case in PHX mostly due to the fact that my living arrangements in Albany were temporary. I had my interview a week ago in PHX,  It was disclosed to io that we now lived in NY and also had drivers licenses from NY. The was no issue with it what so ever. Only mention of it was weather related.

There in nothing in the law that requires you to file in the district you live in when getting a green card.

Edited by azblk

13 minutes ago, azblk said:

Like I said earlier this inaccurate. I was in the exact situation you are in are in. When filed I lived in PHX, AZ. I subsequently took a job in Albany, NY but I decided to keep my case in PHX mostly due to the fact that my living arrangements in Albany were temporary. I had my interview a week ago in PHX,  It was disclosed to io that we now lived in NY and also had drivers licenses from NY. The was no issue with it what so ever. Only mention of it was weather related.

There in nothing in the law that requires you to file in the district you live in when getting a green card.

Thank you so much for your clarification. so you flew back to Phoenix just to take the interview? If I can use my california address, I will be more than happy to!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, wowcheesestick said:

Thank you so much for your clarification. so you flew back to Phoenix just to take the interview? If I can use my california address, I will be more than happy to!

Yes I only went back to PHX to take the interview. The only thing I would worry about in your case is that a month or so after you submit your paperwork you will have to go for your biometrics appointment which would have to be in California so you will have to fly back for that and the interview. In my case i moved after biometrics.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.