PundaSmith

State Taxes & N-400

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello, 

I recently filed for citizenship and just received notice that my interview has been scheduled. 

At the time of filing in late 2017, I owed 2016 state taxes, and noted so on the application with explanation that I am making plans to pay it off. I did pay off the 2016 state taxes early this year - in 2018. 

However, I have just filed my taxes and do owe state taxes again for 2017. I applied for installment payments and waiting for a decision on it, so that I can sign a payment arrangement agreement with the state. 

Now that I going for the interview, it is likely this issue will come up. If I am asked if I still owe taxes, I intend to answer yes, but in the absence of a payment arrangement agreement, what other explanation can I give? 
Will receipt of any payment made towards the taxes be sufficient to show that I am making an attempt to pay it off?  How can one deal with this issue?

thanks for your input - PS

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency 

ELIS: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/

EGOV: https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

OLDSITE: https://public-prod-elis2.uscis.dhs.gov/efile/saml/login

12/28/2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

12/28/2017 (Day 00) -  NOA Available Online - Awaiting PDF Receipt

12/28/2017 (Day 00) -  NOA PDF Receipt Posted Online,  Awaiting Letter

12/28/2017 (Day 01) -  Received Notice of Biometric appointment

01/02/2018 (Day 04) -  Biometric appointment letter posted online, scheduled for 1/18/18

01/03/2018 (Day 05) -  Biometric (fingerprinting) completed @ Philadelphia ASC - through Walk-in

01/04/2018 (Day 06) -  Case status - We Reviewed Your Biometrics". 

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.