Jump to content

Show me the way to the land down under!


4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Country: Australia

G'day/Howdy all American and Aussie couples.....

Ok..I'm a U.S citizen who wants to travel to Australia, to meet my boyfriend, and most like marry him while i'm there....if anyone can provide me with how i need to go about this, it would be greatly appreciated. I've done some research but really dont have much of a clue on how to go about this....also what will I/we need to do after we marry, so that i can bring him to the states...

Thanks to all in advance for any advice and information....

cheese and kisses :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hi cheese and kisses

for the americans to visit australia you need a valid passport and get a visa..you can apply online take a look at the link below...


it doesnt cost that much and you can do it online.. and just print it out

if your looking at which airline to use.. we use QANTAS because if you want to see a bit of australia there are deals where you can get 3 free flights within australia.. link below


we also used orbitz.com for flights..

as for the which visa to use..there are two different types if your going to get married .... K3 and CR1/IR1


what you usually have to give for the interview is affidavit of support .....bank statements... tax transcripts for past 3 years (or 1 year which they ask for) bank letter... employer letter..

but these things you might wait till your approved to send over to your fiance....

what you could do while your in oz is get your fiance or husband (if you marry) to fill out the biographical form to take back with you to the states to start the process.... that is the G-325A form...

your best bet is to read all the guidelines on here way up all your options and choose which suits you best...the K1 is usually alot faster than the others...

take a look at your visa options below

know your visa options.

also with the new law inforce you cannot do the DCF ..that option is only to US citz that reside in australia...

hope that was some help to you...you should come introduce yourself to the other aussies on vj in the land downunder thread...hope to see ya there...

also was good to see you on the aussie vj map too .. your not too far from me .. im in toledo ohio...

take care



11th Aug 2008 - Mailed I-751 to CSC.

12th Aug 2008 - Application received

14th Aug 2008 - Cheque cashed

18th Aug 2008 - Received NOA-dated the 12th

26th Aug 2008 - Received Biometrics letter

4th Sept 2008 - Biometrics-Detroit-Complete-'Touched'

5th Sept 2008 - 'Touched'

1st Dec 2008 - APPROVED-Card production ordered -112 days

8th Dec 2008 - USCIS mailed approval notice.

8th Dec 2008 - Received my 10 year Greencard in the mail. took 2 days.

Although I have the above date for approval my card actualy states the

2nd December..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia

There are plenty of airlines out there to choose from.

Kath mentions QANTAS but I personally find them a little expensive. I (and a couple of American friends) would swear by Air New Zealand, for several hundred dollars cheaper you get all the comfort of a QANTAS flight. The only trade off is 3 hours longer (can be more if there is a longer layover) since you go via Auckland New Zealand.

And my fiancee travelled with United Airlines last time he visited.

Some people also go the bargain route and find the cheapest flight possible and trade off confort and time in the air for a cheaper ticket. This is a great option if you want to save your $$$. Airlines like China are great cheaper options. However, read Kaths review of China airlines in the DOWN UNDER forum first ;)

As for the visa, for you to get a tourist visa to Australia is very easy. Like Kath said, its just a matter of visiting that website, paying the fee and printing it off, nothing else required.

Good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia

I use Air New Zealand religiously.

If you are getting married in Australia you have to file your intent to marry at least...a month, I think...in advance. That is MANDATORY.

Check out the Registry of Births, Marriages and Deaths in the state you'll be in to get more info. My now-husband went and filed out intent before I got there...

Good luck.

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...