MU193340

Applying for Dual Citizenship Questions

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello:

My wife in December (2017) successfully removed the conditions and was approved  for 10 years. Our next step is to apply for US citizenship as long as her Swedish citizenship is still recognized (which I believe that is the case).  The main reason to apply is that we would no longer have any issues if we ever chose to live outside the US at a point in our lives. 

Can anyone please help with the following questions below:
- What is the current  time-frame it will take once we submit the forms needed before she were to take the test, etc? She is very busy at work and is worried about studying for the citizenship test. 

- We live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin so I am not sure if that matters or not in terms of the local immigration office, etc. 

- Does anyone know the overall costs it will take from start to finish for applying for US citizenship? 

Thank you all very much in advance for your time and assistance!

1. Current time frame varies by different field offices, but generally prepare for 4-7 months wait from filing to interview. The civic test is extremely easy, she can study it on the weekend before her interview. It doesn't take that long to study 100 questions, unless she doesn't really feel comfortable with English. The civic test is only a part of the citizenship interview, she still needs to prepare supporting docs such as tax records.

2. Search on VJ and see timelines for people that are processed at your field office.

3. Overall cost is the N-400 filing fee, $725. 

Filed: Timeline
4 hours ago, MU193340 said:

Hello:

My wife in December (2017) successfully removed the conditions and was approved  for 10 years. Our next step is to apply for US citizenship as long as her Swedish citizenship is still recognized (which I believe that is the case).  The main reason to apply is that we would no longer have any issues if we ever chose to live outside the US at a point in our lives. 

Can anyone please help with the following questions below:
- What is the current  time-frame it will take once we submit the forms needed before she were to take the test, etc? She is very busy at work and is worried about studying for the citizenship test. 

- We live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin so I am not sure if that matters or not in terms of the local immigration office, etc. 

- Does anyone know the overall costs it will take from start to finish for applying for US citizenship? 

Thank you all very much in advance for your time and assistance!

I can share my experience.

- I submitted my application in early June 2017. Fingerprints several weeks later, interview in December, Oath ceremony in January 2018. Approx 6 months end to end.

- Mine was in Los Angeles, but the USCIS website has comparative processing times. The processing times page suggest that Milwaukee is 2 months longer than Los Angeles (https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processingTimesDisplay.do).

- The citizenship test requires no more than 4-6 hours of study over the course of 2 weeks before the interview. All 100 possible questions are available online (and they give you a book with them at fingerprinting). There are no tricks here, its a very simple verbal Q&A, it's not a formal written test etc. It should not be a factor that decides your strategy.

- The (only) cost is $725 filing fee (https://www.uscis.gov/n-400)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.