elmcitymaven

Tremors in Kent!

22 posts in this topic

BBC News this morning is saying that there were tremors lasting about 10 seconds at 8.15am in Kent, probably focused just north of Ashford. No injuries reported, but looks just like a minor earthquake. Power is out and phone lines are down, and police are dismissing rumours that it was an explosion (although there are reports of a bang just before the tremors). Kent police just said there has been some structural damage, but I don't know to what extent.

My in-laws are in Dover, which the BBC says was affected, and though I'm sure they're just fine I'm still worrying myself sick! :unsure:

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Just a quick update to say that the earthquake has been measured at 5.0 on the Richter Scale: http://www.emsc-csem.org/index.php?page=home

This quote from the BBC News website cracked me up though:

Another Folkestone man told BBC Five Live Breakfast that his whole house "shook quite violently".

Paul Smye-Rumsby, who lives in Dover, said: "It was about 08.15 when suddenly the bed shook violently.

"I thought my wife had got cramp or something but then I saw the curtains were moving and the whole house was shaking."

:lol::lol::lol:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Paul Smye-Rumsby, who lives in Dover, said: "It was about 08.15 when suddenly the bed shook violently.

"I thought my wife had got cramp or something but then I saw the curtains were moving and the whole house was shaking."

LOL :lol:

Permanent Resident Since 01/03/2007

N-400 application mailed 3/20/17

Credit card charged 3/25/17

NOA 3/31/17

Shut up! Really??? My in laws live in Kent.... :huh::( M.

Where are your in-laws located? We have the all-clear from his mum, who happened to be in Milton Keynes (insert joke here) last night and had no clue about the earthquake, but still nothing from his dad who doesn't have a mobile. I assume he's just fine but until I hear otherwise... :wacko:

Interestingly, the US authorities are saying it was a 4.7 quake but the European seismologists have it at 5.0. People in Norfolk and Suffolk are saying they felt it. I was busy making cheese sandwiches for Bruce's lunchbag at the time of the quake and felt nada up here in North London.

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

I was just gonna ring em...I'm sure they're fine, but just to be sure..they live in Gillingham. Funny, I didn't know they got quakes there at all! Anyway, sorry too...the SHUT UP! is a leftover habit of mine from the 80s! :blush: but yeah...I just saw it on BBC. Crazy! M.

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

Anyway, sorry too...the SHUT UP! is a leftover habit of mine from the 80s! :blush:

Tee hee -- I say it all the time too. Totally annoys my vaguely anti-American PA. Also when I say "totally"!

Filed: Timeline

I've been in an earthquake before and I heard a really loud noise and thought it was my neighbors being annoying again before I felt the quake. When I realized it wasn't them I thought oh sh!t. Happy to hear there is no one severely hurt. Quakes are never fun!

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

I just phoned my parents who live on the Kent/East Sussex border, about 20 miles from Folkestone. They haven't watched the news all day, so were shocked when I told them there was an earthquake!

My mum said she was sitting up reading in bed and the bed shook, the mirror moved and the curtains moved like a window was open! She thought a big lorry had gone past :lol:

Then she asked my dad if he had heard about it, he said no, but he thought he felt the ground move, just didn't mention it to her cos she'd think he was nuts!

I love my parents!!

10 year Green Card received, Next step is citizenship urgh!

When you meet the one you want to spend the rest of your life with,

you can't wait for the rest of your life to begin

I just phoned my parents who live on the Kent/East Sussex border, about 20 miles from Folkestone. They haven't watched the news all day, so were shocked when I told them there was an earthquake!

My mum said she was sitting up reading in bed and the bed shook, the mirror moved and the curtains moved like a window was open! She thought a big lorry had gone past :lol:

Then she asked my dad if he had heard about it, he said no, but he thought he felt the ground move, just didn't mention it to her cos she'd think he was nuts!

I love my parents!!

:lol::lol:

They sound so english, what?! an earthquake?! here, in england? CRAZY talk :lol:

Glad that everyone seems to be ok though.

K-1 visa issued: 12/15/2006

107 days from mailing AOS package to receiving green card! Received 6/27/07 dated 6/20/07

Removing conditions:

mailed 5/22/2009

Recieved at CSC 5/23/2009

Check cashed 5/27/09

NOA date 5/26/09 - still not received

I-551 stamp in passport 6/19/09

Biometrics notice date 6/16/09

Biometrics received 6/20/09

Biometrics apt date 7/9/09

Biometrics cancellation notice 6/27/09

Biometrics apt notice date 6/26 recieved 7/7

Biometrics apt 7/22/09

Touch 7/22/09

Finally able to see online info 7/22/09

Card production email 8/19/09 date ordered 8/18

Recieved approval letter in mail 8/19/09 date 8/13!

Touch 8/19

Email stating approval notice sent 8/24/09

Green card in hand!! 8/24/09

Husband joined army and moved from San Diego to Ft. Benning GA! 8/30/11

Filed N400 based on 5 years of residency 9/12/12

Recieved email notifcation recieved package 9/19/12

Biometrics 10/22/12

Early Biometrics 10/04/12

In line for interview 10/8/12 for 8 days

Interview 11/20/12 PASSED!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I love my parents!!

Aww bless 'em, they sound like great people. :D

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

:) Uncle Trevor said it was about 40 miles from them....said he didn't even know about it. :P Glad it doesn't seem to have really been a huge deal...when you first posted that I was all "whaaaaaaaaaa oh NO! huh??? yipes!"

:P

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.