Jump to content

Two kids and their birth certificates

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone,

Chris and I are starting our K1 visa journey.  I am from the US and she is from Thailand.  She has two children that we need to make sure we bring along on our journey.  I hope I can receive some clarification as to what we need to provide as proof she has sole physical and legal custody of her children in order to allow them to emigrate to the United States.  I will call the children K and M.


Both children are minors.  Both were born to the same father out of wedlock.  He did not legitimize either of the children with the local Amphur.  I do not believe it will be possible to get the father to sign any document and provide an ID in front of a government official.


K, the father did NOT sign her birth certificate.

M, the father DID sign his birth certificate.  


I cannot find a specific, recent topic that speak on what is required when the father did NOT sign the birth certificate.  Is the lack of a signature and a letter from the Amphur attesting that she has sole custody enough documentation for the embassy?


I found a few threads on when the father could not be located or would not provide the proper documentation.  I do not know if these apply as M was not legitimized by the father.  Can someone point me to details on what we need to provide in this case?  Will the father need to be contacted if it does require a court order of sole custody based on her already having sole custody.  I.e.  The court order rejecting a petition with the explanation that the mother already has custody so the court can't grant it.



Through googling, I found mention that the embassy does not require a PIN to call and ask questions any more.  Is this correct?  I understand questions have to be asked in an, what have you accepted in similar scenarios format.  Does anyone know if you can also email the embassy for this information?


Thank you for any direction you can provide on this.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.