Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Help filling out N-400

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts

So I am in the process of filling out the N-400.  I have a pending i-751 application, and a temporary GC (expires in January).  My question relates to part 2 and the "name".


I came to the US on a k1 visa with a legal name.   I married in 2014, and at that time chose to apply for my AOS in the same legal name (i.e. not my married name).  My GC is in that same legal name.


When I filed my i-751, I indicated that I wanted to legally change my name to my married name; my NOA/extension letter came addressed with my married name.


I have been told that I cannot change my name on Social Security until DHS officially changes my name, but I do not know when that occurs, and so have not attempted to update my SSN as driving to the office is a PITA - I figured I'd wait until the i-751 is processed, but that is probably still months out (Dec. 2016 filer).  However, now I am applying for Citizenship, I am not sure what my "Current Legal Name" is...is it the original name, or is it the married name (as on my NOA from the i-751).  Do I fill out Part 2 as if I want to change my legal name, just as I did before, or as if it is already changed?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.