nigel

K1 VISA MAYBE

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

Please can anyone inlighten me on this....

First If a Alien got a CR1 Visa 14 months....How long would the Alien would he have to wait to sponser his Girlfriend and his 5 yr old son...into the usa....is there a certain time ie 3 yrs before this can happen....and if so must it be different k visa be needed for wife to be and son....

any comments...Thanks members..

ps this is for a Family friend......

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The K-1 visa is only for U.S. Citizens. The wait time for naturalization for your friend will be 5 years from the time that Lawful Permanent Residency was achieved except in the case where LPR status is gained through marriage...in that case it is 3 years. However, if your friend married his girlfriend, it's possible for him to sponsor her for an immigrant visa as an immediate relative of a permanent resident via I-130. http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/residency/family.htm

A little more information would be helpful....how was the CR1 obtained? Since the CR1 is a conditional residency visa...is he under a conditional residency status? I'm not an expert in this area, but it sounds as though your friend gained a visa via marriage to a USC...is that correct?

Edited by gcox457

Kseniya (Ukraine) and Gary (USA)

05-27-2005 I-129F package arrives at TSC signed for by "M.S."

...A bunch of waiting and worrying...

10-14-2005 Passport with K-1 Visa delivered

02-14-2006 Everyone is home!

03-04-2006 Wedding date!

07-25-2006 AOS/AP package FINALLY completed and sent

08-04-2006 AOS/AP NOA's received

11-06-2006 Interview Successful!

11-13-2006 Welcome to America letter received

THANKS FOR YA REPLY.....

He got a CR1 Visa through his mother.....He got his CR1 Visa 14/16 mths ago...He wants to marry this Girl sometime but don't know what is the best way to go about things...for his now girlfriend and his son...

So your saying a K1 Visa will be no Good for him as he only had his CR1 a Short time ago huh..and the only way for him is... to Get Married (maybe) then apply for a i-130..is that correct....

Thanks Again.. :thumbs:

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
THANKS FOR YA REPLY.....

He got a CR1 Visa through his mother.....He got his CR1 Visa 14/16 mths ago...He wants to marry this Girl sometime but don't know what is the best way to go about things...for his now girlfriend and his son...

So your saying a K1 Visa will be no Good for him as he only had his CR1 a Short time ago huh..and the only way for him is... to Get Married (maybe) then apply for a i-130..is that correct....

nigel,

He doesn't have a CR-1 visa, that class is for spouses of USCs only. He had an Immigrant Visa though, and that's fine (the class doesn't matter), so he is a Permanent Resident.

As a PR, he can get married and petition for his spouse. The current wait time for a visa to be available to her is 4-5 years.

The K-1 is not available to PRs. If he wants to wait until he is a USC (5 years from his Green Card date), he can petition her as a fiance.

There is no happy, quick solution available to him.

Edited by meauxna

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

THANKS FOR YA REPLY.....

nigel,

He doesn't have a CR-1 visa, that class is for spouses of USCs only. He had an Immigrant Visa though, and that's fine (the class doesn't matter), so he is a Permanent Resident.

As a PR, he can get married and petition for his spouse. The current wait time for a visa to be available to her is 4-5 years.

The K-1 is not available to PRs. If he wants to wait until he is a USC (5 years from his Green Card date), he can petition her as a fiance.

There is no happy, quick solution available to him.

Yep...Thanks Meauxna,

I thought as much...Thats the sort of thing i said to him...There is not really a Quick fix to this...Shame really but the Law is the Law...so its the only way...

Thankyou for your Comments/Advise..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.