aless

I-130 questions

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: France
Timeline

Hi. I am in the process of filling out the I-130 to apply for my father to get a green card. There are a few questions I'm having trouble with and I wanted to get suggestions here.

Part 2, Question 20 - Names of All Your Spouses
Do I give my wife's maiden name or her married name?

Part 4, Question 21 - Names of Beneficiary's Spouses
Same question here. He has had two wives and it seems odd to give his last name which is fairly self-evident.  I suspect they want the wives' maiden names, but I'm not sure.

Part 4, Question 22 - Date Marriage Ended
His wife died. I'm assuming they want that date but not sure if that's what they mean by a marriage ending.

Part 4, Question 51a - Name of Current Employer
He's an 84-year old retiree. It says to type "Unemployed" if the beneficiary is currently unemployed, but is retired the same thing? Which should I use in this box?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

give thier current names, so for the current spouse it would be the married name and for the previous spouse it would be thier name after the divorce was final or the name the spouse had when they passed away.

same as answer for 2.20

date of death is the date that the marriage ended.

4.51 a

retired is the same as unemployed. 

on a side note bring over elderly parents will get very expensive since they can not get medicare and us medical costs are very expensive when compared to Europe. they will most likely need to see you making more than 125% of the poverty threshold since it is doubtful he will be working to pay for his own expenses.

Filed: Other Country: France
Timeline

Thanks for that answer. I have one further question I'd like to add, regarding Beneficiary's Physical Address, questions 11-13 of Part 3. My dad came here to the States for a visit after the loss of his wife and we have decided to have him stay and apply for a green card. For now he still has his house in Europe. So for number 11, which asks for his physical address, do I enter his European address and then say SAME for question 13 or do I enter my address where he is now and will remain after he gets his green card and enter SAME for question 12?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.