HazelG

Name change after oath ceremony

10 posts in this topic

If I can't change my name before the oath ceremony, can I change my name after the oath?

I know I will have to go to court with papers filled out. I'm curious on what documents I need to prepare. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I need the forms of Petition for Name Change, Notice and Order for Name Change Hearing and Order for Name Change for the court.

I'm not sure how to change my name on Social Security Card and passport. Help is needed on these two. If there's documents and steps that I need to prepare would be great to know. 

Finally, last portion of this confusion. N-565 form. My goodness, $555. Part of my soul shatter when I saw the price. Can someone tell me do I have to fill out this form for my name change since I just passed my naturalization interview? I'm trying to avoid this form for my name change process and I highly doubt it.

Thank you for those who answer.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Hi in order to change your name on your SSN, you'll need your court document and you'll present that to your SSN office. they'll issue you a new SSN card. Since you'll need to update your citizenship status anyways you can do that as well (providing the name change doesn't happen too long after the ceremony otherwise you'll have to go twice). 

Passport... what do you want to do? Wait for name change first, then apply? Or get a passport in your old name first? If it's the first passport, you'll need to fill out DS-11 and present it along with your certificate and court order of your name change to the passport office. If you don't want to wait until the name change is done, you'll apply with a DS-11 and certificate as well. Once you have your passport and your name change comes through, you'll file a DS-82 along with your passport and your court order. 

This website will actually let you fill out the application forms and determines for which DS form you're eligible. It also explains which documents you'll need. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/forms.html

I changed my documents in this order:

Drivers license

Passport (DS-11 since I made my name change through uscis) 

SSN card 

All my bank and credit cards

employment 

It's a pain to change everything but soo worth it. 

7 minutes ago, Frage said:

Hi in order to change your name on your SSN, you'll need your court document and you'll present that to your SSN office. they'll issue you a new SSN card. Since you'll need to update your citizenship status anyways you can do that as well (providing the name change doesn't happen too long after the ceremony otherwise you'll have to go twice). 

Passport... what do you want to do? Wait for name change first, then apply? Or get a passport in your old name first? If it's the first passport, you'll need to fill out DS-11 and present it along with your certificate and court order of your name change to the passport office. If you don't want to wait until the name change is done, you'll apply with a DS-11 and certificate as well. Once you have your passport and your name change comes through, you'll file a DS-82 along with your passport and your court order. 

This website will actually let you fill out the application forms and determines for which DS form you're eligible. It also explains which documents you'll need. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/forms.html

I changed my documents in this order:

Drivers license

Passport (DS-11 since I made my name change through uscis) 

SSN card 

All my bank and credit cards

employment 

It's a pain to change everything but soo worth it. 

Do you know what I should do with the N-565 form since I just finished my interview for naturalization? I'm assuming I have to fill out the form right?

Timeline

If your certificate gets issued with your current name it's still going to be valid once you get your name changed. I personally would not change it but keep it together with the court document. 

Remember your passport is going to be proof of citizenship as well. Same goes for the passport card which I really love because it's so cheap ($55) and it's wallet sized :)

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/card.html

Edited by Frage

1 minute ago, Frage said:

If your certificate gets issued with your current name it's still going to be valid once you get your name changed. I personally would not change it but keep it together with the court document. 

Remember your passport is going to be proof of citizenship as well. Same goes for the passport card which I really love because it's so cheap ($55) and it's wallet sized :)

Thank you so much, you have been so helpful. I have been researching about the steps of changing my name and all the information I have received were too confusing for me, so thank you very much for your help. :D

34 minutes ago, Frage said:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/card.html

Sorry to bother you a bit more. If i don't file the N-565 form for a replacement certificate, won't it cause trouble when I want to travel? Is the certificate just a piece of paper for proof of my citizenship? So when I go and change my name at the court and then change the name on my passport (I already have one) and it won't cost trouble right? 

Please tell me that certificate is not going to come out after I lock it in my safe :D because I heard that people who had their name changed after becoming citizen do file the N-565 form. Sorry if it sounds confusing, I just don't want to get into trouble and make my travel easier. I plan on studying aboard at my university so I hope the process goes smoothly.

Timeline

The certificate is simply proof of your citizenship. Once you get your US passport and/or passport card, that will be in place as your proof of citizenship therefore yes your certificate can be locked away :) You will not have issues traveling. Just keep your US passport up to date with your new name and make sure your ticket matches your passport.

Which passport do you already have? I assume it's from your previous nationality? I don't know anything about changing your name on a foreign document. See, I had German citizenship and I have no idea if they would have accepted the court document. Maybe they would have needed an apostille. I already had trouble with getting my divorce and new marriage acknowledged by them. On top of that the name change after naturalization... It was such a hassle so I decided to drop my German citizenship alltogether and not worry about updating any of my foreign documents. 

On 9/1/2017 at 5:42 PM, Frage said:

The certificate is simply proof of your citizenship. Once you get your US passport and/or passport card, that will be in place as your proof of citizenship therefore yes your certificate can be locked away :) You will not have issues traveling. Just keep your US passport up to date with your new name and make sure your ticket matches your passport.

Which passport do you already have? I assume it's from your previous nationality? I don't know anything about changing your name on a foreign document. See, I had German citizenship and I have no idea if they would have accepted the court document. Maybe they would have needed an apostille. I already had trouble with getting my divorce and new marriage acknowledged by them. On top of that the name change after naturalization... It was such a hassle so I decided to drop my German citizenship alltogether and not worry about updating any of my foreign documents. 

Oh I see, thanks. That's really helpful. Since I'm going to the ceremony anyway so might as well ask them about it just in case some future complication comes up and I'm trying to avoid trouble and make my life easier. :D:lol: 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.