Shellane845

Appropriate proof of relationship

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline
6 hours ago, usmsbow said:

Make a copy of your work visa and your residency card. Provide a couple pictures together. Since it will be clear that you lived in Korea, and he lives in Korea, I don't think they'll be that picky. 

That's a great idea!!! Thank you so much!!! 

Timeline
13 hours ago, Spazmotic said:

반갑습니다~

YOU will need to handle all translations for the USICS.  Make sure anything that you send in has been translated by a third party with a statement of their fluency in both languages, wet signature and dated.

Good luck :)

Thank you I will keep that in mind!! 

Timeline
11 hours ago, Marzena & Stephen said:

Did you post any photos on social media? It would be a good idea to print a screenshot of a photo from there because the date is stamped on social media alot of the time. Also dinner recipes that have dates are also good to include. Just include as much as you can. And in regards to messaging they dont need everything but if you gave a few clips that were talking about visiting that may hopefully support your case?!. Good luck! 

That's perfect thank you!! I will do some screen shots and a few clips of our conversations in the begging middle and end we used to talk about seeing each other on Friday nights so I can find that. 

thank you! 

8 hours ago, danie82 said:

I will be copying and pasting things from facebook/messenger into a word document to send.  Documenting when the relationship started, when we were engaged, etc...  Also if you discussed marriage or wedding plans on that texting app you used, copy and paste that as well.

Perfect! Thank you!! 

Timeline

@Shellane845   One more thing, since you are first starting this adventure.  Your Korean Fiance may find it easier for them to research information about this by doing it in their mother tongue.   You can find an excellent Korean community for US Immigration and posts and information about the K1 process specifically here at the Naver Cafe:

http://cafe.naver.com/gototheusa

Has helped my partner a lot in understanding the process.   Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.  We are still waiting on our NOA2, but have learned a lot through the process.

Timeline
7 hours ago, Spazmotic said:

@Shellane845   One more thing, since you are first starting this adventure.  Your Korean Fiance may find it easier for them to research information about this by doing it in their mother tongue.   You can find an excellent Korean community for US Immigration and posts and information about the K1 process specifically here at the Naver Cafe:

http://cafe.naver.com/gototheusa

Has helped my partner a lot in understanding the process.   Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.  We are still waiting on our NOA2, but have learned a lot through the process.

This is perfect!!! Sometimes it's hard to explain exactly what I need for the application and why in detail and have him understand. 

Thank you so much! 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Shellane845, 

we are kinda in the same boat. My fiancé is the USC, but I'm South African and we both live here till next August. 

We are are putting our packet together and will probably file late next week. If you need any help, let me know. 

Since you are the USC and living abroad, can I ask you if you are using a Korean address for your mailing address? 

Timeline
On 9/7/2017 at 5:17 PM, J&B said:

Shellane845, 

we are kinda in the same boat. My fiancé is the USC, but I'm South African and we both live here till next August. 

We are are putting our packet together and will probably file late next week. If you need any help, let me know. 

Since you are the USC and living abroad, can I ask you if you are using a Korean address for your mailing address? 

Hey! 

We have very similar situations!! We are going to file next week too! Since when I mail it I will be living in Korea still I am going to use my Korean address for the living address but my mom's address for our mailing address. Because I will be leaving Korea in a few weeks. I want to make sure to get the mail without any hiccups. 

What did you all put in your proof part of the application? I am doing pictures, some messanger conversations starting from the day we met and my Korean residency card to show we lived very close to each other. 

Thank you!!! 

Shellane

Timeline
On 9/9/2017 at 1:10 PM, Shellane845 said:

Hey! 

We have very similar situations!! We are going to file next week too! Since when I mail it I will be living in Korea still I am going to use my Korean address for the living address but my mom's address for our mailing address. Because I will be leaving Korea in a few weeks. I want to make sure to get the mail without any hiccups. 

What did you all put in your proof part of the application? I am doing pictures, some messanger conversations starting from the day we met and my Korean residency card to show we lived very close to each other. 

Thank you!!! 

Shellane

Hi there, 

Gotcha on the address. We will both be living here till August 2018, so we are using my school as the mailing address. We are a little nervous about that one, but all USPS mail that we have had sent from his family in the states have been received.

About the proof, this is what we are putting together:

- Pictures - for us it is a lot of mundane stuff like being out to dinner with friends, birthday parties, travelling together once outside of Korea, baseball games and such

- Kakao messages - Lordie we have a lot! We will probably screenshot messages that fit in with some of the pics, then also just some loving conversation between the two of us and lastly just random everyday stuff we talk about. We now live together so those messages are a lot less after two years of living apart and finally moving in together. Also, we will probably make sure that we have messages from each month since we started dating. We will screenshot all of this.

- Facebook - we are not the type of couple who put everything on Facebook, but we do have one or two pics of us together and two posts from when we posted about our one year and two year anniversaries respectively.

- Cards - we have made cards and written notes to each other so we will scan all of those

- Lease - like I mentioned we now live together and both of our names are on the lease so we will send a translated certified copy of our lease.

I know living in the same country we don't have that a lot of written proof as long distance bi-national couples might have, but we do have more photographic proof so play those up.

If you guys called each other on the phone, get your phone company to send you a print out of your call history and highlight all your calls to show that you have spent time developing this relationship.

Since your fiance is Korean his family is here and if you spent time with them include pictures of that or proof of anything they might have given you.      

I hope that helps.

We are filing this week, but have so much more to do. We want to go slow though so we don't make mistakes and get an RFE.

Good luck to you guys!

Joe 

Timeline
On 9/11/2017 at 10:37 AM, J&B said:

Hi there, 

Gotcha on the address. We will both be living here till August 2018, so we are using my school as the mailing address. We are a little nervous about that one, but all USPS mail that we have had sent from his family in the states have been received.

About the proof, this is what we are putting together:

- Pictures - for us it is a lot of mundane stuff like being out to dinner with friends, birthday parties, travelling together once outside of Korea, baseball games and such

- Kakao messages - Lordie we have a lot! We will probably screenshot messages that fit in with some of the pics, then also just some loving conversation between the two of us and lastly just random everyday stuff we talk about. We now live together so those messages are a lot less after two years of living apart and finally moving in together. Also, we will probably make sure that we have messages from each month since we started dating. We will screenshot all of this.

- Facebook - we are not the type of couple who put everything on Facebook, but we do have one or two pics of us together and two posts from when we posted about our one year and two year anniversaries respectively.

- Cards - we have made cards and written notes to each other so we will scan all of those

- Lease - like I mentioned we now live together and both of our names are on the lease so we will send a translated certified copy of our lease.

I know living in the same country we don't have that a lot of written proof as long distance bi-national couples might have, but we do have more photographic proof so play those up.

If you guys called each other on the phone, get your phone company to send you a print out of your call history and highlight all your calls to show that you have spent time developing this relationship.

Since your fiance is Korean his family is here and if you spent time with them include pictures of that or proof of anything they might have given you.      

I hope that helps.

We are filing this week, but have so much more to do. We want to go slow though so we don't make mistakes and get an RFE.

Good luck to you guys!

Joe 

Thank you so so much this helps a lot!! We are not big facebookers either and that kind of sucks haha in hindsight we should have announced everything on facebook when it was happening but I am such a private person and prefer to tell my family and close friends first. But we have pictures and lots of kakao messages. Also he has met my dad and I have met his family here so I will put those in there. Hoping pictures, kakao messages, and meeting the family proof is going to be enough. (cross my fingers) 

Thanks again!!! 

Shellane

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.